Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15yr old lab/chow/pit. He is supposed to be 100lbs, but cuz he losing muscle mass from arthritis in his back legs he now only weigh 73lbs.
He can barely get up in the morning without help, he on pain meds for his hips. He has about 5 cysts on him. The problem having his when do I know its time to put him down. He just lays around all day. He eats fine and drinks find. Put if he see other dog or person he will run across the backyard no problem.
My boyfriend doesn't want to put him down till he can no longer eat or gets up on his own. But I think he is suffering.
I just wanted to get other people views or if they ever had to put a dog down, which I never had to. I have an appt. With my vet to talk to them about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of pet owners often struggle with the decision of when it is time to let go and choose to end the life of their beloved companion. Above all, they don't want their pet to suffer; they want them to have a certain quality of life. As you can imagine this can be hard for a pet owner to determine themselves. To help with your choice you can research to see if you have a trusted hospice veterinarian in your area. The hospice veterinarian I know is a mobile veterinarian so they will go to your house.

This is a great option as our pets age, it can become more and more difficult to bring them into a veterinary clinic. Especially if your pet is mobility impaired and getting in an out of the car can be a struggle. With some pets just going into a veterinary clinic can cause increased anxiety which can upset owners as well. Sometimes so much that they avoid going to a veterinary clinic and try to find help from other non-professionals.

I think speaking with your veterinarian is your best choice at this point.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re knowing when it's time.

We've been through this with a couple of dogs. Most recently we had to make the decision on when to have our 14 year old collie put to rest. Knowing that this was coming, we made a list of milestones that would tell us that her time had come. For example:
a. Incurable incontinence.
b. Loss of bowel control.
c. Inability to get up without help.
d. Inability to walk up and down the street.

This way, we were able to come up with a list of things that were based on her temperament and health that would tell us when her quality of life had deteriorated to a critical point. It made the decision much easier.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Its a monumentally difficult decision to have to make. I think when the time comes close, you have to ask yourself, 'am I keeping him/her alive for me, or for him/her? I am hoping we are a long way from having to make that call, Samantha is 8, and as of right now in good health. That is a decision I dread having to make.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts