Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In October, I lost the love of my life, my 17yr old beagle. We still had another 3 year old beagle boy. A few months later, we offered to temporarily take custody of an un-neutered male terrier. He was kind of weak and sick to begin with, but we got him on the road to recovery.

Temporarily turned into 8 months. My husband and I always knew we wanted to adopt another beagle. I missed my Bromden so much-- when we were asked to foster another Red beagle from the local hound rescue, we jumped on the chance. And we fell in love with the little guy-- a 1 year old male.

Now we have two dogs, plus the "temporary" terrier. The problem is the younger beagle and terrier have always fought. I had it under control for a while, we all walk together every morning, I have tried to watch for triggers, and the fighting seemed to ebb for awhile.

Yesterday, they got into two major fights. The young beagle refused to let go of the terrier (normally the aggressor) and nothing we did would get his attention (water hose, redirecting, pulling them apart, etc). The terrier was left with a bloody ear and an even bigger attitude.

I'm working on a permanent solution for the terrier. But in the meantime, I have them completely separated. I've read where this is a bad idea, which is why I always tried to reintroduce them pretty quickly after other fights. But I am afraid for his safety at this point.

I'm looking for any advice on what to do from here. I feel so terribly guilty for causing this situation. I just want what is best for all of them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you know why the dogs are fighting?

Very sorry that your dogs are not getting along at times. So stressful for all!

Do you have any idea why the two dogs were fighting this time? Was it over a toy or food or space? Do you think it was attributed to resource guarding?

Was one of the dogs trying to play and the other got annoyed because they didn't want to play?

Was anything particularly off that day, like schedule, or new people visiting home, or feeding time was running late?

Is one of the dogs not feeling so hot? Or sensitive to touch on a certain body area?

Was one dog giving appropriate body language signs to the other for space, but the other simply wasn't listening and leaving the other alone?

Do you think the beagle just had ENOUGH of the terrier's antics and finally said STOP IT and used aggressive behavior to state his point?

For me, I always want to know why the dogs are fighting if possible, and then come up with a plan to manage or help them handle their stress better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've noticed the terrier over the past few months constantly assert himself in Reddick's space. The first few fights were always at feeding times, so I was able to separate and distract them to keep the fights from happening. When the two beagle boys try to play, the terrier steps in. The bad fight last night started when they were outside by themselves, so I'm not sure what triggered it. My guess is they were all excited barking at a squirrel and one got in the other's space somehow. The big difference yesterday, was that Reddick started his morning with a seizure. So he may have been feeling extra sensitive.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi again @mastas. I really like and appreciate your last post!

I personally love to hear when dog people can actually stop and analyze what is going on when their dogs are "acting out" or showing aggressive displays.

Most people just want to "fix' it, but never actually take time to figure out why our dogs are acting the way they do.

I don't have time right now to offer suggestions at the moment based on what you wrote because it is late and I have to go home and feed my doggies. But I wanted to let you know that I saw your helpful and thoughtful reply.

I will ponder your situation and write again soon if I can help. Hopefully our other
knowledgeable regulars will be able to respond to your thread and offer you help sooner!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts