Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 8 year old Beagle mix named Liz. She is the sweetest dog, and we fell in love with her when we got her from the shelter 5 years ago. Lately she's been acting kind of funny. She walks around the house, but her steps are very deliberate and mechanical, she's fallen down a few times due to her balance issues. One morning she was just not finding her feet and kept falling so we took her to the vet. The vet told us she had an enlarged heart, which we knew based on past visits, and she was dehydrated and had some pink eye. I've been giving her the eyedrops for pink eye and thankfully it had gotten considerably better, and I've been making sure she gets enough water, even though we always leave plenty of water out for her, so I don't understand why she could be dehydrated in the first place. It's been over a week, but she's still having these balance problems and I'm very concerned. If anyone has had experience with this, I'd really appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What did the vet do about her dehydration? And is she still dehydrated? If she is she could have renal problems.

What did the vet say about her way of walking and falling over?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet mentioned the dizziness could be a symptom of dehydration. As far as if she's still dehydrated, it's hard for me to tell. Her labs came back normal. She's been drinking her water and eating normally, but I've noted some changes. She doesn't get excited when we try to play with her, and she it's like she bumps into things and it's not like her at all. She walks around the house like a zombie. I beginning to think that it doesn't have anything to do with dehydration but rather she is losing her eyesight?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I didn't even read your whole post before I assumed it was sight loss. I've seen this happen in a lot of dogs who begin to go blind, where they are scared to walk anywhere and walk rigidly because they don't know where they're going. If she's falling over she could be confused and lost and lose her balance. My friend has a cocker doxie mix who walks very slowly and rigidly and will slowly walk to the base of the stairs and then stand there because he's scared of falling off and needs someone to help him back into the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts