Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my dog, Crenny, in September of 2012. He is 3 years old, a rescue beagle-mix who has had a very rough life (he was abused). When we got him, the rescue place had him on regular pedigree dry and wet food. I didn't think this was the best food so I switched him to something else (dry food) from a local dog store that was organic and was wheat, soy and corn/cornmeal free. From September to February he was fine. No BM/stomach problems

At any rate, he was doing really well up until about the beginning of February of this year...he was diagnosed with Pneumonia, was given meds and was doing fine for a few weeks.

Around the beginning of March, he went for his Lyme and Lepto shots and then after the boosters, he started to have red blood (very clotty) and mucus in his stool and was scooting. He was also crouching and would pass little tiny drops of blood at times. I attributed this to a food change (my husband bought the wrong food and due to snow, I was unable to exchange it so gave him the new food without a second thought) and possibly a reaction to the shots so I brought him to the vet and brought a stool sample. The vet said he didn't think it was the shot, gave him some antibiotic and suggested I change his food to something for sensitive stomach and gave me some antibiotics. The stool sample came back negative for any type of worm, parasites or infections.

I changed his food to Wellness (dry food) and he was doing really good for a few days, maybe even a week - he loved the new food. Then the blood, mucus and scooting started again and was worse. I called the vet and he asked for another stool sample. I brought the sample and he said that it came back negative for everything again and gave me prescription ID gastrointestinal health wet food as well as more antibiotics. He's been on that food for two days and the blood seems to have lessened, there is still some mucus and he's still scooting. The vet told me to give him 3/4 of a can twice a day (but i think he's still hungry) or I can start giving him lean chicken breast, broiled, with white rice instead.

Its still early on so things could improve but I just wanted some input. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When my dog had blood + mucous, it was coccidia..
Posted via Mobile Device
Hi, Miley-
I originally thought this might be the case because we live in a complex and other dog owners RARELY pick up after their dogs so i catch my dog sniffing where he shouldn't...but the vet said the stool sample was negative.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
When you gave him the antibiotics did you also give him some plain yogurt or plain Kefir? Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the stomach along with the bacteria that it's been prescribed for, yogurt will replace that good bacteria.

Trying to figure the reason for the scooting... How is his stool? Is he constipated? How are his anal glands? Is his appetite good, and is he drinking water alright?

If his vet is sure nothing is wrong you could try feeding him only boiled chicken and rice for a few days (don't leave him on that more then a few days it's not nutritionally complete) and let his digestive system have a chance to reset before slowly reintroducing whatever food you want him to stay on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you gave him the antibiotics did you also give him some plain yogurt or plain Kefir? Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the stomach along with the bacteria that it's been prescribed for, yogurt will replace that good bacteria.

Trying to figure the reason for the scooting... How is his stool? Is he constipated? How are his anal glands? Is his appetite good, and is he drinking water alright?

If his vet is sure nothing is wrong you could try feeding him only boiled chicken and rice for a few days (don't leave him on that more then a few days it's not nutritionally complete) and let his digestive system have a chance to reset before slowly reintroducing whatever food you want him to stay on.

The vet never suggested yogurt so it never dawned on me to try that...but that's a very good point!!

He has no constipation and his stool has been soft but since he's been sick its rarely been diarrhea. The vet said his anal glands were ok just irritated from passing blood and having an upset stomach. He's eating and drinking great otherwise it's so odd!

I'm gonna try the chicken and rice after I run out of the wet food.
Thanks so much for the advice I really appreciate it!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would get blood work done just to be.100% sure nothing else is going on. I would keep him on the chicken rice diet for now and see what happens. Adding in the yogurt would be a good idea. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would get blood work done just to be.100% sure nothing else is going on. I would keep him on the chicken rice diet for now and see what happens. Adding in the yogurt would be a good idea. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. I'm going again to the vet next Saturday to be sure. So far there's been no blood. What kind of yogurt??
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Just plain yogurt, you don't want any of the flavored stuff.

Glad you are going to double check him with the vet, and that's great that there's been no more blood so far.

Reactions: rbunton

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Thank you to everyone for the advice - I was really starting to worry. This is the first time my husband and I have ever had a dog of our own. We had dogs growing up but never a shelter dog, sadly.

I started to slowly mix in the Wellness again with his prescription wet food this morning...less then a handful. He was really happy about that.

again, thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I changed his food to Wellness (dry food) and he was doing really good for a few days, maybe even a week - he loved the new food. Then the blood, mucus and scooting started again and was worse. I called the vet and he asked for another stool sample. I brought the sample and he said that it came back negative for everything again and gave me prescription ID gastrointestinal health wet food as well as more antibiotics. He's been on that food for two days and the blood seems to have lessened, there is still some mucus and he's still scooting. The vet told me to give him 3/4 of a can twice a day (but i think he's still hungry) or I can start giving him lean chicken breast, broiled, with white rice instead.

Its still early on so things could improve but I just wanted some input. Thoughts?
If he likes the Wellness I would try the Wellness simple for sensitive stomachs. This worked great for us.
Wellness® Simple Turkey & Potato Formula I have had problems with my hounds stomach and it sounds like the antibiotics messed with the balance in the stomach. To fix that I would add a couple of tablespoons of kefir or yogurt to each meal for a couple of months to put the good bacteria back into the stomach. Any time you have to give antibiotics give the kefir or yogurt so you are putting back what the antibiotics strip from the stomach. That kind of reaction although extreme can happen to dogs with sensitive stomachs when you switch food or if they eat something rotten.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
If its only been two days, it's too soon to worry. While the yogurt is a fine addition, based on your history, the lack of it is not the cause of the bloody diarrhea or the lack if being better yet. Diarrhea takes a few days to resolve itself.

If the fecal test didnt have a Giardia Elisa run with it, that should be done for sure. It's likely just that he ate something that disagreed with him and you'll never know what it was. If this intermittent diarrhea continues, you should consider having him tested for Addison's disease and have more thorough Testing done-- but it's premature for that.

In the meantime, sure, add the yogurt, but continue with what I hope us metronidazole/flagyl that you were given and bland food only for a few days. A sensitive stomach food may be needed, or you may have to add a dollop of canned pumpkin to each meal for added fiber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet called yesterday to check in and he keeps telling me that if it were anything more serious then the dog would have been way worse by now but since he is steadily improving, it must just be a touch of colitis/just an overall sensitive stomach. Given everything my dog has been through before we adopted him, I wouldn't be shocked sadly.

I gave him some white rice mixed with the Wellness last night and then about an hour later he had the first normal bowel movement in days and he was so happy after that!

This morning I gave him a small piece of broiled chicken, a little bit of the rice and a little dry Wellness. I am hoping that this afternoon he has another normal BM.

I don't want to give him rice with every meal (I think it'll constipate him) so I have some canned pumpkin and may mix that in with his dry food later as suggested. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that helpful information. I know it's quite hard taking good care with pets but they seems like a family to us. Besides, taking care of a dog is more than just a ton of work. It can cost you a ton of cash. This is specifically true if you get the pet at a young age. You might even want an instant pay day loan to cover crisis vet visits when your pet gets hurt or sick. It may cost a lot of cash, but owning a pet that loves you is always worth it. :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Thanks for that helpful information. I know it's quite hard taking good care with pets but they seems like a family to us. Besides, taking care of a dog is more than just a ton of work. It can cost you a ton of cash. This is specifically true if you get the pet at a young age. You might even want an instant pay day loan to cover crisis vet visits when your pet gets hurt or sick. It may cost a lot of cash, but owning a pet that loves you is always worth it. :)

Pay day loans are nearly always a horrible idea. They are very hard to get paid off and the interest on them is super high.

Instead look into pet insurance, vet Carecredit, or setting up a savings account for pet emergencies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive been increasing the dry wellness food and my dog has blood in his stool again, ugh---back to the hill prescription id gastrointestinal formula wet food...my vet is charging me three dollars a can--does anyone know of an alternative that might be cheaper and NOT prescription?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Ive been increasing the dry wellness food and my dog has blood in his stool again, ugh---back to the hill prescription id gastrointestinal formula wet food...my vet is charging me three dollars a can--does anyone know of an alternative that might be cheaper and NOT prescription?
Posted via Mobile Device

It sounds like he's allergic or sensitive to something in that Wellness formula. There's a few things you can do.

Check the food ingredients listed on it (don't worry about the vitamins and minerals listed) and then try and find a food without those ingredients. Ideally start with a formula that is LID and one without grains. That way you can slowly add back in things and see if he react to them once you find a food that he does good on.

Feed him the Hills food till he's doing well again, then one by one introduce him to the ingredients in the Wellness. So if the Wellness has Chicken, brown rice, and peas, in it you'd first give him some chicken for a few days and see if he's O.K. with it, then give him some rice for a few days, then the peas. Doing that you can figure out exactly which ingredient is causing the problem.

Take him in for an allergy test to find out what if anything he's allergic to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sounds like he's allergic or sensitive to something in that Wellness formula. There's a few things you can do.

Check the food ingredients listed on it (don't worry about the vitamins and minerals listed) and then try and find a food without those ingredients. Ideally start with a formula that is LID and one without grains. That way you can slowly add back in things and see if he react to them once you find a food that he does good on.

Feed him the Hills food till he's doing well again, then one by one introduce him to the ingredients in the Wellness. So if the Wellness has Chicken, brown rice, and peas, in it you'd first give him some chicken for a few days and see if he's O.K. with it, then give him some rice for a few days, then the peas. Doing that you can figure out exactly which ingredient is causing the problem.

Take him in for an allergy test to find out what if anything he's allergic to.
thanks - I know its not the chicken or rice because he has been on that with no problem--once the dry food (wellness) was re-introduced thats when the problems happened, ugh. I think it is the barley, honestly.

back to wet food, chicken and rice mixes--my poor baby!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yeah, I know how frustrating it can be. It took me months to find a food that my dog liked and that didn't give him diarehha. Even now he isn't perfect on the food and I'm debating trying to see if I can find one he does even better on or just leaving him on what he's eating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts