Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got a puppy that is around 5 weeks old. I am fully aware that it should still be with its mother but that is not the case anymore. We had to either take the puppy in or it would be sent to a home where they wouldn't give it the love it needs. It has been a week now and she is eating great! She eats whole food that is soften up with warm water. She is eating around 3 to 4 times a day with vitamins prescribed by the vet every 6 hours.

My only problem is sleeping!!! She will cry through the entire night. I know she just wants her mom but we have set up a little play pin with a bed and a potty area. She has a big stuffed animal with a clock underneath it to simulate a heart beat. Nothing really works, she just wants to sleep with us. I just need advice on what to do. She is a wonderful pup and we are taking amazing care of her. We are giving her all the love she can handle. I just need advice on how to handle a 5 week old pup and how long i should expect this to go on for. We have had other puppies but none this young.

She is a maltipoo... as cute as it gets.

PLEASE do not reply with reasons why i should not have a 5 week old puppy and how i should sent it back or what not.... This is the situation at hand and I would like advice on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Being me I would roll out my sleeping bag and get on the floor with her until she is at least 8 weeks old...she is just so very young...or put her in a crate and put it on my bed so she can be with me and see me too...what the heck.
Maybe borrow a "foster canine mom" from a friend so she has a doggy parent who can foster her....yep...

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Honestly, I would let her sleep with you. She is a baby-baby-puppy; she needs, not just wants, the security, warmth, and comfort of having living beings with her. I wouldn't expect her to be okay with sleeping alone this young. You can crate train her later if that's what you want.

If the idea of her sleeping with you is out of the question, I would at least set her up in a crate, eye level and next to your bed so she can see you.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Being so young, she really does need constant contact. It's very unnatural for a pup that young to be left totally by itself, all alone, and it could be emotionally traumatizing to her. I would probably have the pup on the bed with me, or as pkelly suggested, get out a pad and sleep on the floor for a couple weeks. If you have another dog that is motherly, you could also try putting that dog in the pen with the puppy. Stuffies and a clock just can't take the place of having a living, breathing body that offers emotional support and comfort.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
First...follow your Vets advice. Glad you took your pup there.

Is the pup in your room with you, being so young very scary to be away from her litter mates. Can she sleep with you? If she stirs, and you will know that, take her to her potty place, then back to bed.

Many more will advice, probably with better advice than what I have said, but a warm body against a pup that is use to snuggling with their litter mates is better than hearing a clock tick in a crate/pen.

Keep up thee vet work, I am so pleased you took her right away.

And also, welcome to dog forum, we all love our dogs and are here to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for replies and suggestions...I am just worried about her falling off the bed or rolling over on her while i sleep you know?? How i can protect against that?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Thank you for replies and suggestions...I am just worried about her falling off the bed or rolling over on her while i sleep you know?? How i can protect against that?
I've raised all my pups having them sleep on the bed with me at first. I just have my bed pushed up against the wall, and I put my puppy between my body and the wall so there's no way it can fall. They have never thought about intentionally jumping off until they get a bit older (like, 3 months). My brain usually knows there's a pup in the bed, and I'm able to stay more conscious of where it is when I'm sleeping.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Are you with another, snuggle her in between you will sleep lightly knowing she is there, if no one else there, just like a baby , a pillow barricade, and also if you are worried about urine soaking, put plastic under your sheets.

You are going to be OK!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I've raised all my pups having them sleep on the bed with me at first. I just have my bed pushed up against the wall, and I put my puppy between my body and the wall so there's no way it can fall. They have never thought about intentionally jumping off until they get a bit older (like, 3 months). My brain usually knows there's a pup in the bed, and I'm able to stay more conscious of where it is when I'm sleeping.
x2. I also sometimes pile pillows on the floor next to the bed in case they fall, and wrap a short leash around my wrist (too short to let them fall off the bed/strangle of course) so that I can feel their movement even more. You'll be able to tell when she gets up, and you'll probably find she sleeps through the night much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you ALL SO MUCH for your suggestions! I am going to try them out. I do have another question, how much weight should she be gaining a week? She was 1 pound 3oz a week ago and has stayed the same. She eats 3 to 4 times a day. She is eating puppy food that has been broken down and soften with water. She also takes a vitamin every six hours. At what age should i start crate training her?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I can second this. My parents fostered a very young (6 week old) puppy when I was around 15. I am an incredibly heavy sleeper (I've slept through smoke alarms!) but I let her sleep with me and I didn't roll on her once. I knew she was there the entire time. It's almost like an instinct!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Or you could even put a dog bed in YOUR bed with you, which is a little bigger/taller, although I agree that you probably won't roll on top of the puppy.

I recently had an 8 week old pup in my house (A little older than yours, I know) who cried all night too. I let my resident dog sleep with us when he was a pup and I haven't been able to get him out of be since, and now he's almost 90 lbs and usually kicks me out and I end up on the couch. :eek:

I didn't want that to happen with the new puppy so I slept on an air mattress on the floor right in front of her on the floor so she could see and hear me. She was in a little crate just a few inches away and when she would cry I would just calmly soothe her and stick my fingers in the crate so she could feel me too. I also had a hot water bottle in there with her which made a HUGE difference the first night I put it in there. The warm and jiggly water bottle felt like another dog to her and she curled up on it instantly.
I'd also put her blanket in the dryer before bedtime so it was warm and comforting to her. I kept the fan on for some white noise. Although she was a few weeks older than your pup, after about 2 weeks of waking up every hour: she was eventually crate trained and could sleep the whole night beside my bed without me.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
If you're really worried about rolling over on her or her falling off, what about getting a laundry basket (the short, rectangle ones - usually used for folding, not as a hamper) and putting her in that on your bed with her in it. So, basically making a co-sleeper for puppies.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Puppies at that age should gain weight every day. What kind of scale are you weighing her on? If you are just weighing her on a bathroom scale with you holding her, you would have a tough time seeing if she is gaining. I would say she should be gaining at least two or three ounces in a week.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Having your pup sleep in your room is a great idea. I have only ever had rescue, adult dogs, but they have always had a bed in our room & I have never had a problem with separation anxiety when we go out during the day. Good luck, sounds like you've saved this pup from a life of hell :thumbsup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would start crate training her around 8-9 weeks. While you don't want to rip her away from the contact she needs (and already has had taken from her with the lack of her mom and littermates) you should introduce the crate early while her brain and behavior are still pliable. Wait too long and training to a crate is often tougher. Baby steps though. A pup that's been sleeping with you in bed for a month is likely going to want to keep doing so. Introduce the crate during the day-read the crate 101 sticky, and build up time until she can sleep alone. 3 weeks to finish, I'd say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts