Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misty is a 10 year old GSD mix that we adopted when she was one and a half. When she was young there were a few incidences of chewing up silk flowers and a few household items but I distracted her with rawhide bones and toys and soon it wasn't a problem except for the occasional theft of a used kleenex.

Now, at ten, she is taking books and grocery lists and any other paper product she can find within reach and eating them. She ate the entire front cover off of a vintage book! We've put everything out of reach but I still am concerned that she is expressing displeasure over changes in the household. I've recently had furniture moved and made a small bedroom into a computer and hobby room for myself and, while this behavior was already happening, since the move she's been worse.

I give her treats if she comes to see me in this new location and pet her a lot and encourage her to be comfortable in the new room but she isn't liking it. She's always been a little unusual in behavior, not very cuddly, very nervous with strangers, so maybe she's worried about what all this means. Is there anything more I can do to calm her down? Is there anything I can do to help her be more affectionate and cuddly with us?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Did you check her teeth?
perhaps he gnawing in stuff because they hurt.
I'd have a vet check her... if everything is okay physically, I'd interrupt her when he does the unwanted behaviour and build up an altenative behaviour.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Definitely time for a vet consult, could be some digestive issues, or some sort of pain going on.

Let us know.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
She may be very stressed and anxious from the changes. I agree that a vet check should be your first step. Be sure to mention the reason. Some dogs do have mental changes as they age. Cognitive function can decrease.

If she has a safe place, that you notice she prefers, make that her bunker while she adjusts to the new arrangements. I wouldn't encourage into the new room if she feels uncomfortable there. Let her go at her own pace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is up to date on her dental work; my daughter works at the vet office so she helps keep everything up to date and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with er teeth. She gets Rimydyl every day, too. It must just be the changes in the household. We've had a hard year with my husband in the hospital and me in a cast for awhile in addition to the furniture moving.

Her safe place is a closet so I guess I'll just let her spend as much time as she needs there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because of her age and she's beginning to show signs of soreness in her hips. She can't jump into the car like she used to and her hind end slips sideways now and then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts