Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm gonna start walking my dog around my neighbourhood and I'm scared that she might be attacked by other dogs in the street. She is 6 yrs old and medium sized, recently moved in with me. The thing is, where I live in South America there is no law that says dogs have to be on leashes when they're outside, and around my neighbourhood almost every dog is outside their home, resting on the block. Now I wont be able to avoid all dogs, and I can only hope she wont be attacked, but I wanted to get some advice on what to do to prevent an attack from happening. Should I get her a muzzle? I know her and I know she wouldn't bite or attack another dog out of the blue, but if something happens I don't want her to bite the other dog.. I'm kinda freaking out so I appreciate any tips you could give me. Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is bad, hope you could understand. :cry:

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
First, your English is fine and I understand you perfectly so no worries there.

Dogs would normally prefer not to fight - it risks injury which they instinctively want to avoid because an that could stop them hunting / eating. So fights are fairly unlikely, is there any reason why you think your dog is at more risk?

They have very good body language signals to help them recognise what other dogs are thinking. This is something you might want to read more about.

Thus is a good article Introduction to reading dog body language - Silent Conversations

If you are concerned, give other dogs lots of space between you and them. If one approaches and you are uncomfortable, have some treats to scatter on the ground which gives you time to leave while the other dog foraged for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts