Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a puppy which suckles on anything he can, problem is he starts to chew and eat the cloth he is sucking on. I have read that if we try and break this habit it wont work...he will only find other toys or furniture or clothing or whatever to do the same thing. We just got him a nice chew bone, would this take the place of cloth? or is there some sort of cloth out there that may withstand his teeth? Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you saw the movie Marley & Me you will understand what Mimi is like... She went through the whole house. Nothing was safe! She has eaten the skirts of our couches, the cushions, the duvet covers, T-shirts, socks, my dressing gown, you name it.. she chewed anything that was 'chewable' to her. No toy or bone worked. She is much better now reserving the habit for when she feels abandoned when we go out without her and she is left alone for several hours at a time. Thankfully, on a much smaller scale. I am still afraid to replace or repair anything just yet.
There are squeeky toys that are made of durable cloth and dogs cannot tear them apart but Mimi never played with them. The cloth is too tough. I guess your puppy will grow out of it eventually.
If there is a way of teaching them NOT TO CHEW, then I would like to know too for my next dog. Mimi is the only dog I have had that chews.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If you saw the movie Marley & Me you will understand what Mimi is like... She went through the whole house. Nothing was safe! She has eaten the skirts of our couches, the cushions, the duvet covers, T-shirts, socks, my dressing gown, you name it.. she chewed anything that was 'chewable' to her. No toy or bone worked. She is much better now reserving the habit for when she feels abandoned when we go out without her and she is left alone for several hours at a time. Thankfully, on a much smaller scale. I am still afraid to replace or repair anything just yet.
There are squeeky toys that are made of durable cloth and dogs cannot tear them apart but Mimi never played with them. The cloth is too tough. I guess your puppy will grow out of it eventually.
If there is a way of teaching them NOT TO CHEW, then I would like to know too for my next dog. Mimi is the only dog I have had that chews.
Nope. Not without severly punishing or scaring them out of it (which I don't recommend) They need to chew as puppies because of teething, and for som' dogs chewing is actually a coping mechanism that relieves stress...

so they chew with som'thing is bugging them, if they aren't allowed to chew the tension can build up and the dog will get frustrated.

Just keep switching the inapropriate items with apropriate items and praise the dog when they choose correctly on their own. They'll get it.;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY for the advice! will try swapping out the pillow case for the bone each time he goes for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great advice. Never thought of it. Just went about cleaning the mess under her watchful eye. She knows when she does wrong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts