Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 month old border collie, just need a few tips.. She is very very giddy and gets bored very easy I'm just wondering if there are anything out there that will tire her out..she has a Kong, 2 walks a days and play in the garden, Ialso she is still not toilet trained! Iv tried everything, when our kitchen door is open 99% of the time she will go out, but when the door is shut for example at night she does it were she pleases.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Border Collies are great dogs, but, they are very intelligent working dogs. They are happiest when they are in the fields herding something, so understand that if she is not busy or tired, she will get bored and will attempt to find ways to entertain herself. I doubt you will approve of most of her entertainment solutions. We have neighbors that have a Border Collie, and they spend a good part of every day keeping him exercised and tired. He is truly a great dog, but very high energy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Walk?....for a Border Collie? HA! that is just a warm up!

Pax is 1/2 Border Collie and our walks are mental stimulation and fun, NOT exercise. Only thing that comes close to being considered exercise for him is a vigorous fetch session, let him run free at the beach where he can chase/be chased or a bike walk where he can run and I have a chance of keeping up with him.

They are a high energy working breed...simple walk is not gonna cut it for a Border Collie! They are VERY smart and energy management is key if you don't want a psycho dog on your hands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Walk?....for a Border Collie? HA! that is just a warm up!

Pax is 1/2 Border Collie and our walks are mental stimulation and fun, NOT exercise. Only thing that comes close to being considered exercise for him is a vigorous fetch session, let him run free at the beach where he can chase/be chased or a bike walk where he can run and I have a chance of keeping up with him.

They are a high energy working breed...simple walk is not gonna cut it for a Border Collie! They are VERY smart and energy management is key if you don't want a psycho dog on your hands.
I agree with Pax. A couple walks and a little bit of backyard play isn't gonna cut it for a Border Collie.

I watched a Border Collie for someone for 5 months. A few walks, fetch, trick training, frisbee and some off leash play didn't even cut it.

I had to fill Kongs, treat puzzles and more to keep him entertained and not whiny and barky.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like the others have said, you definitely need to up her exercise.

As for the potty training, dogs do not understand the concept of inside vs outside for going potty. They have a natural instinct to not go near where they sleep and eat, but depending on the dog that might be 3' or 30' away. Just leaving the door open isn't going to help her potty train at all. You need to teach her where you want her to potty. Most people do this by setting up a schedule for when the dog goes. I would aim for every 1 hour to start, + after she wakes up, naps, drinking a bunch of water, plays. When your pup goes outside to pee or poop praise her generously and give a treat. When she goes inside, clean it up quietly and pretend it never happened. She'll soon grasp the idea that going pee/poop outside gets fun time and treats.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Housebreaking

#1 you need to understand when a dog is likely to need to use the bathroom. A quick rule of thumb is 15 minutes after the dog eats, drinks, plays hard, or wakes up from nap is potty time.

#2 Calmly wait around with the pup outside to go. If he doesn't go in about 5 minutes, put him back in his crate and wait another 15 minutes and repeat.

#3 When the dog DOES go, reward him with treat and praise and play time. Do not put him back in his crate for at least 15 minutes or he may link going outside to getting put back in the crate.

#4 still, realize that most dogs don't hate the crate, it's a safe spot for them, feels like a den to them. Don't feel afraid to crate the dog during the day when you can't spend a lot of time monitoring bathroom habits.

Exercise

The dog isn't getting enough. BCs and BC mixes have high energy levels and need to be drained both mentally and physically. Kong is a good start mentally, but realize you'll need to expand that. Physically, try biking while the dog runs with you. Also spend some time chucking tennis balls for the dog to bring back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as the potty training, I've always found crate training to be essential. I started attempting to housebreak two young adult dogs around April. I had a strict schedule for eating and walks. Used positive reinforcement when they go outside. made certain many of the walks were long to ensure they would "go" as much as possible. If I didn't trust them, they went in their crate. Over time, I've backed down the walks to a normal schedule. no more accidents but I still use the crate for one of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts