Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog is finishing up a round of antibiotics, and his stool has been off and on soft or normal. I'd like to replenish his system with antibiotics naturally.

I know there are a ton of products out there that are labeled as probiotics for dogs. But I don't take commercial probiotics for myself, either - I myself just eat a good combo of different whole grains, vegetables, yogurt, and fermented vegetables. And I've got great gut flora :)

But do dogs need the same bacterial strains humans do?

I asked my vet, who suggested goat yogurt, which I picked up. And I regularly give him small pieces of raw cut veggies.

What are other sources of healthy bacteria for dogs? Are they same as healthy bacteria for humans?

Also, what are people's thoughts about green tripe? And does it make a difference if it's raw or freeze dried? I hear that green tripe has excellent enzymes for dog's digestion, though i don't know about bacteria. I hear that's pretty undebatable. But I'm not sure if the freeze dried versionof green tripe is a source of the active enzymes, or if I have to get it raw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Without doubt, the highest level of probiotics is found in fermented veggies, like sauerkraut.

http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/

In an analysis of a sample of green tripe by a Woodson-Tenant Lab in Atlanta, Georgia, (see end of this article for full details) it was discovered that the calcium:phosphorous ratio is 1:1, the overall pH is on the acidic side which is better for digestion, protein is 15.1, fat 11.7 & it contained the essential fatty acids, Linoleic & Linolenic, in their recommended proportions. Also discovered, was the presence of Lactic Acid Bacteria. Lactic Acid Bacteria, also known as trubble-tripeLactobacillus Acidophilus, is the good intestinal bacteria. It is the main ingredient in probiotics.
Green Tripe - True Carnivores

My boy eats raw green tripe regularly. He has never required antibiotics (not that is a direct result of eating tripe), where possible I would always feed raw to get the optimal bioavailable benefits from the food.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Green tripe, apple cider vinegar with "the mother", and kefir are the ones that come to mind for me! I would feed the tripe raw. Dehydrating exposes it to heat, which may denature beneficial enzymes and probiotics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Little wee dog gets a tsp. of milk kefir periodically. It doesn't upset the stomach as the culture has eaten the lactose/milk sugar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts