Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new around here. I recently got a dog from an individual about a weeks go. She has since picked up fleas and immediately got her on a flea/tick preventive (NexGaurd as recommended by the vet) and can tell it has helped tremendously as fleas started coming out of her fur soon after giving the preventive, which I took her outside and picked all off of her as they surfaced. I still notice some on her here and there, but she seems very itchy, way more than what I think she should be. Her skin has definitely improved from before the preventive, her skin was very red from scratching so much from the fleas, and it's now back to the color it should be. However, I have noticed that there's a couple places on her legs she's been chewing at that are about raw. What can I do to help with the itching and to put on those spots to help them heal?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You can try a little coconut oil or petroleum jelly (depending upon how all natural you feel about things). With the coconut oil, I do mean a little bit (if he licks it all off, you don't want him to get sick from a large quantity of fat) and test a spot first. Some people react to coconut.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My girl's allergies are flaring up so I have to deal with this daily for the season and we do foot rinses when she comes inside. I'm not sure if it's pollen, pesticides, dirt or whatever but we make sure to whip off whatever it is that's irritating her (she has seasonal/environmental allergies). I would probably suggest doing the same since she already has some irritation, any chemicals that are put in the grass around your neighborhood can just irritate the sores even more. I have a tree oil soap for sensitive, itchy skin we do before bed and we either take a wet rag and wipe her feet and legs down or wash her feet and legs with water and dawn during the day. We also put a cone on when we can't watch her because she only makes it worse by continuously gnawing and itching. I put coconut oil on her feet a couple times a week as well as her food daily and full body coconut oil rinses about every 2 weeks. This is also what we do in place of regular flea/tick repellent since she can be sensitive to strong products and it has worked fine for us all summer so far. Also, I just ordered an essential oil spray specifically for skin allergies, irritations, and hot spots. It's supposed to come in today so we'll see how it works. Here's where we ordered from Essential Oil Blends For Pets | Essential Oil Blends for Pets

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
She may be allergic to flea bites. It's called Flea allergy dermatitis and it's quite common. One flea bite can cause a response. Coconut oil or any type of petroleum jelly or essential oil will not help. Oils, etc may help dry skin itchiness but they do nothing to relieve intense itching in the long term. See your vet.

Anyone who decides to use essential oils on their pets should be aware that some dogs are highly allergic to some of the oils used. They can cause a strong allergic reaction.

·
Registered
519 Posts
@Grabby i respectfully disagree. we've been managing great with what we're using. we've seen my vet multiple times who only prescribes prednisone and my holistic vet told me to be very careful with vaccinating, chemicals or anything that's really strong because if they do have allergies especially, all that can hurt them more since their immune system is already being compromised from the allergic reaction. My holistic vet encouraged using more natural remedies and the itching has gone down substantially, not completely but for a week straight she had to wear a cone any time she was not outside because the itching was just terrible and NOTHING my normal vet prescribed or tried worked. We've been on the above routine for about 2 weeks now and she's finally able to be left out without the cone, she does need to be reminded once in awhile not to gnaw or lick but other than that she's made a HUGE turn around. The only time I use the cone is when we're not home just in case. I do agree that speaking with a vet is a great idea so that you can know if it's an allergy or if there is anything else that you're not noticing that a vet will but the natural remedies have been doing wonders for us. Also, coconut oil not only helps the skin dryness but it helps with the reducing the severity of the reaction.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
@mjan1121, I'm glad what you're doing seems to be helping your dog. I would still caution people about using essential oils and especially tea tree oil. I personally know of two dogs who had severe allergic reactions that required emergency veterinary intervention. Not all "natural" products are harmless. I know of one dog who had a severe reaction to wintergreen oil. Dogs are as unique as humans and I simply wanted to caution people not to assume that an over the counter product was safe just because it's natural.

I'm not a believer in the many healing properties of coconut oil. It's been heavily endorsed by many people for almost everything. I guess I'm a skeptic about many of the "natural" remedies. That said, if it works for your dog, then that's great. I'm not trying to dissuade you or convince you of anything. :) I use coconut oil for my dry skin sometimes but it always makes me want a tropical drink. lol

My main point was that flea allergy dermatitis is a common reason for intense itching if flea bites are a possibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for replies. I called the vet and they said for me to try giving her Benadryl and I have. Seems to have helped some but not a great deal. Anyone have much of an experience with NexGard? I've seen in a good many places that many dogs are having bad itching after taking it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts