Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I live in a very humid part of the country that gets quite a lot of rain and am thinking about getting a dog soon. One of my biggest concerns about providing this new pup with a good life is preventing fleas and ticks without using toxic chemicals.

A friend told me about a prescription oral flea/tick prevention for dogs - does anyone have any information on this?

Any other ideas or suggestions of how to prevent fleas and ticks naturally?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Natural flea and tick remedies

Hi. I am not a vet tech or vet. I used to use an unscented dryer sheet tied to the collar of my dog. I used to spray it with a natural flea and tick spray. Seemed to work well. Refreshed it periodically.

Once in awhile I would see a tick on him and for that I used Oil of Oreganol. $$$. This stuff is a must for the emergency box. I use it too. It has natural antibiotic qualities.

Same as with me, you numb the tick first with alcohol, then pull it out by the head with the tweezers, then rub the spot with the oil.

I also learned not to let my dog off the leash. Safer for the dog and for me.

I also did bug checks with a flea comb after my walks. Kept an eye and a brush on his coat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the best thing to do with all of these things is ask a vet - a vet you trust to have looked into the research, understand how the drug works, and really considers your dog (and has properly looked at his medical history) and understands the particular risks in the area that you live. You can find more on Pet Express

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hi. I am not a vet tech or vet. I used to use an unscented dryer sheet tied to the collar of my dog. I used to spray it with a natural flea and tick spray. Seemed to work well. Refreshed it periodically.

Once in awhile I would see a tick on him and for that I used Oil of Oreganol. $$$. This stuff is a must for the emergency box. I use it too. It has natural antibiotic qualities.

Same as with me, you numb the tick first with alcohol, then pull it out by the head with the tweezers, then rub the spot with the oil.

I also learned not to let my dog off the leash. Safer for the dog and for me.

I also did bug checks with a flea comb after my walks. Kept an eye and a brush on his coat.

Good luck.
Oregano is toxic to dogs.

To the OP: ask your vet, the medications they proscribe are in measured doses to prevent toxicity. If you use natural products you have no control over how potent, or not, they are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts