Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my second flea/tick/mosquito season in central Indiana. Last year the boys were flea free and only 1 half dead tick on one of them after camping in southern Indiana. I have them on granulated garlic last year and used an essential oil spray on them. I was wondering of course if I just got lucky and thought I would try a flea prevention treat. It calls for a mixture of Brewers yeast and coconut oil. Has anyone tried this? Or has anyone heard this recipe was successful. I will use what I used last year I just thought if any added protection couldn't hurt. I absolutely despise fleas ?

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hey cld22,

Well who doesn't despise fleas, they are just disgusting if you ask me! I have not tried that so can't really say anything about it. I have however tried several different natural flea and tick preventions and have been mildly impressed..

What I have found to work best for me and my dogs is something called "Pet protector". I use it on both my dogs for the last 2 years and have not gotten a single tick or flea since :) If your interestd I can send you a link where you can check it out :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I use garlic(debated by some, IMO don't over do it and you'll be fine), vitamin b complex and a spray I make up. I haven't had any problem with flea/ticks or mosquitos. If what you did last year worked then stick with it, maybe have something else on backup just in case. The spray I make up has lavender, ceder and eucalyptus essential oils. Sometimes I'll add tea tree oil too. I've read that catnip oil is very effective but I haven't tried it. I mix the oils with either water or apple cider vinegar. I spray them before we go on a walk in the woods or in the evening when the mosquitos come out. I use it on us too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Both our dogs get Brewer's Yeast every day, and haven't had any fleas since we started them on it. Friends have switched over to it rather than their monthly flea treatments, since our dogs have stayed flea-free while other dogs seemed to go through an epidemic of fleas in the last several months. Even our local pet store (who doesn't sell Brewer's Yeast) has been recommending it after seeing so many regulars do well with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you tried essential oils, like eucalyptus, lavender and citronella?
Dilute the oils and apply on a bandana around your dog's neck. It can help repelling the bugs, include flea and ticks. Some of anti-flea and tick scents are cedar, pennyroyal, citronella, eucalyptus and lavender.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm partial to using this website cause they are eco-friendly, all natural, organic, etc (and they are planting a tree with every order for earth day week) but they have a good bit of products for flea/tick control. Here's an article with some info about their stuff. Natural flea control

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am interested in this as well.
Our three dogs get Nexguard (March to November-ish).

In the last two weeks, we already had 8 ticks, 3 of them attached (to the pug tick taxi) and the others only hitching a ride on the tick taxi into the house.

I read about Brewer´s yeast. Could I just add it as a daily supplement? Or would the combination with Nexguard cause any issues? They also take heartguard once a month but nothing else.
I do want to start them on coconut oil but i keep forgetting to give it to them.
If Brewer´s yeast is an option, do you have any brands/products you recommend?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts