Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am interested in the raw food diet and yesterday I started a thread about how to start feeding raw. However, I have a question for those of you who are familiar with Natural Balance LID Lamb and Brown Rice since I have my dog on this until we make the switch.

I recently switched my dog from Hills to this kibble because I took her to the vet and it turns out she had a bladder infection.. Knowing that this is just another infection due to allergies (its been an ongoing thing), I switched her from Hills after hearing it was no good! I slowly transitioned her over a week and she seemed to really like Natural Balance with no issues at all.

However, on Sunday, she vomited a small bit and it was just yellow liquid (which I am assuming is bile?) and then went on about her day as usual - playing with kids, etc. Then yesterday, she was sick a small bit again and again, was fine. Her stool was fine last night as well. This morning however while on a run, she had very soft stool - slightly diarrhea like. I am not sure what is going on! She doesn't seem as interested in her food but she does seem to be acting normal - she's playful, happy, nose is wet, gums are pink, etc.

So.. there are 3 things happening here that could be contributing to her being under the weather, and I don't know what to do or think.

1. She is starting her heat.
2. She is on antibiotics (Clavaseptin for bladder infection). Sunday would have been day 6 and that was the first day she got sick.
3. She is on this new food but was slowly transitioned and fine for the whole first week.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I wasn't sure if I should keep feeding her the food if this could be whats causing it?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,
Kerri

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would start by giving a small snack before bed time to make sure its not an empty stomach that is causing this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start by giving a small snack before bed time to make sure its not an empty stomach that is causing this.
Ok! Will try it :)
Thanks,
Kerri

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Also make sure you are giving the medications with food, antibiotics can be hard on the tummy. If the vomitting/diarrhea persists call your vet, and she hasn't been on this medication before, she may be having an issue tolerating the antibiotic and they may need to change to another one.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Dawnben and Kaywilson,

Thank you for your advice.

I went to the vet today to give her another urinalysis for Bella to make sure her infection is gone.. and it is!! She recommended that I have her finish all of her antibiotics and gave me a prebiotic to help with tummy upset while she is on the antibiotics and when she is transitioning to new food. I have decided to go raw! So far so good... its been 2 feedings now and she loves it. :)

Thanks again so much!!
Kerri

1 - 5 of 5 Posts