Dog Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
LOL!!! My little feral houla, Addison, bows down all the time! It is more likely her puppyhood that has caused her to be timid...our older houla is very outgoing and friendly, etc. Again, SOCIALIZE HER ASAP (without overwhelming her) and as much as possible. It took us months for Addison to come into the house without being "directed gently in person", 5 months to let us pet her, and so on. She had had NO human contact as a puppy, literally. She now puts her head on my lap, seeks affection, is easily directed (smart dogs), and sleeps with my daughter under the covers, lol!. I am SO glad she has the lab with her. She may bond to your lab and you will find them to be inseparable, as our two are!!! Our younger houla is much smaller than the other one, they will work it out, believe me. She is still a puppy, and your lab will teach her "manners". As far as timid houlas...hmmm....I always looked at Addison as having the worst puppyhood of any abused/neglected dog I ever met...and figured her hypervigilence to her environ is because of that. Not her genetics. Go to Facebook Catahoula Lovers and Wikipedia Catahoula Leopard Dog History....I really disagreed with a lot of the information in the link you posted!!!! His perspective is based on using the dog to hunt/herd boar!!! and that is his perspective...not a family pet per se!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Uh oh! Today I was walking Molly. Her bowel movements are getting softer and softer. So I checked out one of her piles and it appeared to have blood in it. It was a VERY light brown with a red membrane type substance.
Last night we did administer 2 tsp's of de-wormer. Could that be it? We don't have an appointment to the vet just yet, but have you ever seen that before?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
245 Posts
The soft stools could be from the dewormer. That is how they affected our labrador. But at no time was there any blood, so I can't help you on that one :( Maybe repost in health section? You might get more responses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I say red, but it looked really dark brown, reddish on top of the light brown. The color of the dewormer we used was very close to that color. I'm gonna give it a day or so and see if it gets any better.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
861 Posts
Take her to the vet. Not all dewormers will kill all types of worms. It's best to have a fecal done and see exactly which worms she has so that you can know which dewormer will work.

I am a bit of a dog food nazi, so I absolutely HATE anything with grain in it or that has fillers. I'd take her off the Pro Plan and get her on a good all life stages grain free food.

A lot of people like the Blue Buffalo products, Wellness, Candide, taste of the Wild, etc. Check dogfoodanalysis.com and dogfoodadvisor.com to look at food reviews.

I have an allergy dog and since the other lady who owns Catahoulas says hers are allergy dogs, you might want to consider going grain free as well since a lot of allergy dogs can't tolerate grain. Just in case allergies are common in her breed mix(es).

My allergy dog (American Pit Bull Terrier) is allergic to grain, chicken and beef, so I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream or Venison formula. I alternate between the two for variety.

Good luck with her, she's a cutie! When I saw the pic I thought Catahoula or ACD mix of some type.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Ditto on the dog food! We did try every "natural" dog food we could find, about 13 kinds....found Azmira lamb and rice, Chloe would develop scabs around her eyes from the previous foods, she will drop any treat and give us a doleful look, "like are ya trying to make me sick"! Azmira was 60. for a 25 lb bag, so we kept searching and comparing ingredients...found Purina One Beyond Lamb and Barley and she is fine on it, thank goodness. It is not the ideal "healthy" food, but it sure beats her scratching herself raw. We tried BB, Natures Select, TOTW, and so on...Find one with one source of protein and no wheat, gluten, grains like corn, etc. Keep us posted, love the way your dog looks!!! Oh, gradually change the dog foods or you could have her develop an intestinal problem that is severe...hemo something or other!

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is always the option of going to a raw diet, Pkelley. A lot of people on my other dog forum have allergy dogs and report great success with raw. Most seem to like Prey Model Raw. I have been researching it for a bit and still have a lot to learn about balancing the nutrition before I switch over, but it is something I have been considering.

Alos trying to find a quality butcher around here with inexpensive meats. I'm paying $34 per 30lb. bag of the TOTW and I go through it in 12 days feeding all 4 dogs. If I can possibly feed proper raw for less it would be a bonus!

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I thought about the raw diet but she is absolutely ok on the One Beyond; we're sure she is allergic to grains (won't even take a Milkbone biscuit!), and maybe certain meats. I have never seen a dog get so ill from allergies, the scabs erupted all around her eyes and it wasn't from scratching her eyes, so strange. I will read up on the Prey Model raw, this is such great information Mjjean! Thanks so much. Hurray for Pet Insurance!!! I hope Nateflanders does ok with his new furkid! So glad he has a sibling there too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Oh man! All of the information is making my head spin! I really do appreciate all of the valuable feedback and advice!

We have an appointment for little miss Molly at the Vet tomorrow morning! Hopefully we will get her all fixed up and on a healthier diet (after my research of course!)

I'd like to feed her a food without fillers, as it seems her bowel movements have gone nothing but downhill after implementing the pro choice and milkbones :p

Any specific foods that you guys use or suggest I try?
I'll check out the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.

I really look forward to being a part of this forum for a long time! Thanks for the help and the warm welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
AWWW....we all just HATE it when our dogs get sick...the DF posters are so experienced....rely on them for training/videos, etc. I don't think there has been one question that someone couldn't answer, lol. Skip the Milkbones, our dog is allergic to them! I got new glasses bec. all I do is read fine print on dog treat packages and dog food now! lol.
Not me by the way1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A little update on Miss Molly!

We took her to the vet. It turns out she had bad hookworms. They caused the blood in her stool. We got her on some medicine and heart worms prevention medicine. This Thursday we go back to get her vaccinations and parvo tests.

The vet said she's sure she doesn't have parvo, just taking precautionary steps to double check.

So other than the worms, she's a healthy girl and on her way to a much healthier life!

We have been taking her to the beach, and she LOVES it! We need to get her on a good training routine, as she's pretty stubborn :p

We are all glad here that she's gonna be all good!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Molly is going to be fine!!! I can bet she loves the beach! Houlas can tend to "be in their own little world" at times, especially when tracking something or being in wide open spaces....we took Addy, our feral little rescue 10 times to a 60 acre dog park, no problem with her coming back and into the out gate...the 11th time, the hottest day of the year, she decided she was going to "hide" in the marsh area in the thickets...it took 20 people, including a behaviorist...4.5 hours to get her to come out and go home....persnickety isn't the word I used that day!!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts