Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here but I've owned dogs for decades. No excuses, I've let my lab's nails get too long and need to get them down. She lets me do it, that isn't the problem, it's me that's nervous about getting into the quick. I know this is very common. I have a good tool. My question is, how long do I need to wait in between trimmings to get the quick to gradually recede?

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
If you are wanting to recede them then you need to do the alternative cut line. What you do is cut slivers off the top and sides of the nail exposing the white chalky layer that covers the quick. When that is exposed the quick naturally recedes. When receding the quick you want to trim the nails around every 3 or 4 days till you get to the length you want them to be, then you can switch to every week or so.

Here's a bunch of links so that you can learn how to do it. You can use clippers, the brand most recommended is Miller's Forge red handle, or a dremel tool.

If you are a member of FB then you can access these links, after you join the group. The group is now read only, but it is a wealth of info on trimming a dogs nails Alternative Cut Line | positivedoghusbandry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts