Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we have finally got to the point where I can cut slivers off Kasper's nails - this is a huge deal, we have been working on this off and on for the past two years! As Kasper got better and better at having his paws and nails handled, I got more and more terrified about actually clipping them and cutting the quick - aaaagh! :)

I'm using guillotine style clippers, but I don't like them. I'm thinking scissor style ones would be better - what does everyone else prefer? How can I make sure the nail clippers I get are good, other than reading reviews? How do these look (the reviews are good)?

Professional Dog Nail Clippers | Easy & Safe To use | Quality Sharp Stainless Steel Blades with Safety Guard | Dog Nail Cutters Designed By Vets | Medium To Large Dogs | Ergonomically designed handle for maximum grip and comfort | Dog Nail Trimmers 1

Professional-Grade Dog Nail Clippers by Thunderpaws with Protective Guard, Safety Lock and Nail File - Suitable for Medium and Large Breeds: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Okay secondly I want a dremel so I can start CC the dogs to that too...I've read they're really good, easier and safer to use than clippers. But how do I know what sort to buy?? I'd never even heard of a dremel before! I live in the UK, can anyone give me the name / brand of a good dremel so I can have a look on amazon? I've read a few times that dremels overheat and can make dogs' nails hot too, how can I prevent this from happening or how will I know? A quiet(er) dremel would be awesome too :) I apologise if there is another 'which dremel' thread...

I found this but I have no idea if they're 'right' :confused:

Wahl Pet Nail Grinder - Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Oh, one last thing, if anyone has a 'how to' video on cutting dogs' nails with clippers that would be awesome, like the angle to cut and stuff...I've seen a few illustrations but a video would really help as I don't even know if I'm holding the clippers right :p

·
Registered
813 Posts
I live in the UK and use Dremel Multi 7.2v rechargeable. Had it for about 18 years, so that model is probably not available now. It has 2 speeds, 7,500rpm and 15,000 rpm. I find the slower very good, so if you can, get one that has that speed. Also being rechargeable means no cord to get tangled in whilst using it. Still have the original battery too.

When I'm trimming the dogs' nail I do it in short burst as not to overheat. You could do a 2-3 second burst on one nail, move onto the next etc. By the time you've done them all the first one should be ok to start on again.

I've seen quite a few videos on youtube on cutting nails and trimming them with electric nail grinders such as the Dremel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
icemaiden and Dawnben, thank you :)

Did your dogs take well to the dremel? How slow an introduction did you do? (I know it varies dog-to-dog, I'm just wondering!)

Dawnben thanks for the recommendation. Do you find the cordless ones are still powerful enough to grind down dogs' nails, even BC-sized dogs? I wanted to go with a cordless one, but a few people said they weren't as powerful...I'd really prefer one without a wire though as it seems like it would be annoying to have to manage the wire too, and if it brushed against Kasper I'd bet he'd startle.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
icemaiden and Dawnben, thank you :)

Did your dogs take well to the dremel? How slow an introduction did you do? (I know it varies dog-to-dog, I'm just wondering!)

Dawnben thanks for the recommendation. Do you find the cordless ones are still powerful enough to grind down dogs' nails, even BC-sized dogs? I wanted to go with a cordless one, but a few people said they weren't as powerful...I'd really prefer one without a wire though as it seems like it would be annoying to have to manage the wire too, and if it brushed against Kasper I'd bet he'd startle.
It has two speeds on for my smaller dog and one for my black nailed hound with hard nails the size of large macaroni. It works very well on both dogs. I ran the dremel over their bodies a bit to get them used to the sound and the vibration. Then go slow maybe a couple of nails then lots of yummy treats. My dogs know that nail trims include treats and go to the treat jar after trims. This helped me understand all the in's and outs of the dremel.
How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
Read the grinding rules it explains why the dremel gets hot and how to avoid it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just got the dogs used to the sound of the Dremel, then the vibration on various parts of the body with lots of treats, then gently 1-2 seconds on one nail, etc.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts