Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I'd even consider using one, but after reading that the short and smoother the nail, the less bad impact it has on the dog's back made me consider them.
So for those who use them, what do you think?
Do you like them?
Are they easier/quicker than clippers?
Did it take a long time to desensitize your dog to them?
Do you still need clippers, or does the dremel do the whole thing?
Can you recommend a good, affordable kind?
How often do you need to use the dremel to keep the nails short?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I haven't used it yet, since I'm only bought it 2 days ago and I'm still trying to get Shadow to let me manipulate his paw without struggling. The brat reacts badly to my using treats for that, with treats he goes into search mode and automatically tries to pull away.

Anyway I bought the Dramel 3000 EZ-Twist. I got that one because it has the 5,000 - 32,000 RPMs and from everything I've read 5,000 RPMs are needed for doing dog nails. The other reason I got that one is that it was the cheapest Dramel model that had that RPM speed, anything that was cheaper only had 1 RPM speed and it was something like 15,000 RPMs, any other model that had the lower RPM speed was a good $10 or more then what I paid for the 3,000 model.

I first checked Lowes, and the cheapest one I found with the 5,000 RPMs was around $99 which is out of my price range for a tool I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get Shadow to tolerate. I then remember reading on DF that Wal-Mart had Dramels so I checked there and found the one I bought for $57.97. While that is still expensive for me if I can get Shadow to tolerate it it'll be well worth the price, and maybe I'll get into wood burning if he decides he hates it and there's no way in hell he's going to let me Dramel his nails LOL.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Dawnben posted this link DoberDawn.com ,that has very detailed instructions on how to dramel dog nails, in the Clipping nails for crazy Wheaten.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I bought a Dremel nail grinder a few years ago. I still use nail clippers and then smooth them out with it. I don't use the grinder consistently, but all of our dogs that are fine with clippers are fine with the Dremel. Champ isn't a fan of his paws being messed with, so I haven't bothered with the Dremel on him since he was a pup.

I think the rule of thumb is to use it on each nail no more than 3 seconds at a time (it heats the nail up). So unless you are grinding them at least weekly, to use it on its own might be time consuming. I love the smoothing, but it really just takes a day or two running around (for us) to take the edge off, anyways.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've used a dremel on Weezie's nail for over 8 years. She was fine with it from day one. I hold her with her back against my chest, take one paw and work on each nail. She is such a good dog she didn't mind and fight. Once I was done I would reward her with a stuffed kong. She knows the reward comes after or else really appreciated the 'paw-dicure"
Luna's nails wear out naturally and have never required clipping. She will come sit or lay next to me when I do Weezie's nails so I don't think the dremel creates too much of a distraction for her.
I have a dremel-minimite and picked it up at Wal-mart for about $25.00 last summer. My previous one lasted 7 years so it's worth the investment. It has a rechargeable battery, 2 speeds, and the sanding circles are easy to replace when they get worn out.
Clippers are probably a quicker option because it can take 2-3 minutes per nail to sand and shape to the proper length. I do Weezie's every 3 weeks so it goes pretty quick. She is always inside or outside in the yard that is 100% grass except for the concrete patio so her nails don't wear down on hard surfaces. I've never had to use the nail clippers on her because the dremel does a great job and her vet always makes a note that her nails are at the perfect, safe length for her. I made the switch because she has dark nails and I don't have to worry about cutting the quick.

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
Zoe is extremely fearful of the dremel. When I first got her back in the days when I was "you're getting it done like it or not", she actually bit me when I tried to do her nails. This was almost 2 years ago. After thoroughly traumatizing her with it (ended up buying a muzzle and continued to do it to her)and finding this forum, etc. I tried CCing her to it and it didn't work because she was too sensitized. I felt like a terrible dog mom. It was actually a turning point in the whole way I viewed dog training, etc. After spending a year and a half just clipping her nails and rewarding heavily, the other day I tried the dremel again and even though she wasn't exactly thrilled about it I got it done.

I honestly think clipping is much faster and even though you could potentially cut a quick, you can burn them with a dremel. The dremel takes forever and it takes forever to get them used to having it done to them even if they weren't previously traumatized.

At work with really long nails, I still trim them and then dremel. It makes the dremeling much quicker. If the nails are short and then I just dremel the tips.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoe is extremely fearful of the dremel. When I first got her back in the days when I didn't care if she liked it or not, she actually bit me when I tried to do her nails. This was almost 2 years ago. After thoroughly traumatizing her with it (ended up buying a muzzle and continued to do it to her)and finding this forum, etc. I tried CCing her to it and it didn't work because she was too sensitized. I felt like a terrible dog mom. After spending a year and a half just clipping her nails, the other day I tried the dremel again and even though she wasn't exactly thrilled about it I got it done.

I honestly think clipping is much faster and even though you could potentially cut a quick, you can burn them with a dremel. The dremel takes forever and it takes forever to get them used to having it done to them even if they weren't previously traumatized.

At work with really long nails, I still trim them and then dremel. It makes the dremeling much quicker. If the nails are short and then I just dremel the tips.
Hm, that's not good.:ponder: It was hard enough CC-ing Nola to the clippers, which she still isn't a fan of.
The main reasons for considering the dremel are:
1. My niece is almost 8 months old, and will be mobile soon. Even though Nola is never unsupervised around her, I'd worry about her accidentally scratching the baby somehow. And since she's too light (7 1/2lbs currently) to wear them down herself....

2. Nola's nails are black, and it is impossible to tell where her quick is.

3. Her darn dew claws, which I can't trim for the life of me. Her legs are too short, or the dew claws are placed weird or something. I'm currently using a human nail file on the.

So with those reasons, what would y'all suggest?

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
If you intro her to the dremel slowly, you might be able to do it. I know she's already really sensitive with her feet... dachshunds... LOL... Most dogs hate it just as much as clipping... Some don't mind or prefer it over clipping. I got my dremel for around $20 at Walmart so it's not like it's a huge expense if it doesn't work out and you can use it for other things around the house. At my work anything that gets sedated gets a nail trim and dremel. Just makes everyone's lives easier!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Do you like them?
Yep! Love my dremel.:)

Clippers are quicker and easier.
But I don't mind the extra time because I like that I can get closer to the quick and like the nice smooth nails when done.

Dash and Penny didn't take long at all. Penny did try and bite the dremel the first time I turned it on with her on my lap, but she's such a pig that we over came that in no time.
LeRoy and Pearl I'm still working on. I can do a few nails each session before they decide they're done.

I don't use clippers at all on Penny and Dash. Just the dremel. I do use clippers on Pearl and LeRoy though. I clip all nails first since they don't mind, give them a break (do a different dog's nails) and then do a session with the dremel.

Mine was a bit pricier... I think I paid around $40-$50 at Lowes (it was on sale) but it was a complete kit (the dremel, a nice case, multiple attachments and replacements, etc.) and the dremel has a pretty big difference in speed. We chose it because we needed it for lots of things other than dog nails.

I do nails 1-2 times a month. Whenever I notice them getting long.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Do you like them?
I love it and wouldn't use anything else. You get smooth results very fast, no cracking, no pain from the pressure of the a clipper, no chance of clipping too short. They're not stressed during the process. We tried clippers with our 1st dog- a great dane and she hated it. He's been using the dremmel ever since.

A lot easier and way quicker. My dad does Nyla and Zoey's front nails in less than 5 mins each.

No, we let them see the machine on, smell it when it's off, and always a big praise and treat after. They sit, give paw on my dad's lap and he does them. Noane has to hold them. Nyla had to be held the first time as she was tiny but now will sit and give paw while he does it.

The dremel does it all. The trick is not to remain on one nail too long - it can get hot and uncomfortable for them. Move through the nails on one paw and then go back once more to get it nice and smooth.

My dad uses a proffessional one from Lowe's- not a pet one. I couldn't tell u what brand it is. I do know that the one designed for pets is a joke though and more of a hassle as it doesn't move fast enough and makes the process just as long as clippers. The ones from an actual hardware store will help alot and make a world of difference.

We do ours about once every 6 weeks or so and that's all they need. We only do front paws as their back paws naturally remain trimmed. The more often u do it the quicker the process goes though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: ZoesMom

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Do you like them?
No... I LOVE them!! ;)

Takes longer, I only stay on one nail for about 5-10 seconds or so and then move onto the next nail, then back to the first nail...ect till all are short and round.

I followed Kikopup's tutorial but did it all in one sitting instead of a period of days. Niko is super chill with me and basically allows me to do anything to him, especially if I have food! lolz (I also use a human electric toothbrush with extra soft bristles and chicken toothpaste on his teeth!! :D )

If im in a rush I will clip of the very tip of the nail first as the tip is the hardest it seems but clippers tend to crack his nails for some reason and makes them more brittle... No clue why... :(:ponder:

Mine just died yesterday after 3 years it was this one but an older model, I am ordering this one:

1-2 times a month.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do you like them?
Yes! I don't even use the clippers anymore

definitely. I can dremel 4 dogs nails in under 10 minutes

My 2 had no problems with it. Titan didn't mind the clippers so the dremel was no issue. Sophia hates having her nails done, but sits still for it now.

I only use the dremel. If the dog has really long nails, I will trim the nails with clippers than use the dremel.

Mine is a pet one, it's decent but I think others have better suggestions.

I do it about once a week for Ti and every other week for Sophia. It takes about 2 minutes each because all I do it smooth down the tips of their nails.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I think it depends on your dog and the type of dremel you have. Coconut doesn't like the clippers or the dremel, and I don't do either often because of it, so her nails are pretty long. Either one I use, it's always time consuming with lots of treats and clicking, but the dremeling is much slower because it files away the nail very slowly. I think if you have a plug-in dremel, vs. a mini battery one, it is faster, but it could take longer to CC because it is louder/stronger. Last time I dremeled Coconut's nails it was like 10 minutes for just a tiny bit of nail, and was slowed down by all the treats (I have a mini, battery-powered dremel). Last time I clipped, it was 5 minutes, and I was able to get them short enough.

I think it's worth a shot considering her dark nails alone, but be prepared for a lot of CCing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use it. my dogs dont care either way.

As for black nails. it is easy to find the quick. just need to know what you are looking for. place dog on table, pull foot so its upside down, so you are looking at the bottom of the nail. clip, once you see a "black dot" thats the quick. you can almost always just trim right to the bend int he nail, that is 99% of the time where the quick is as well.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=quick+in+dogs+black+nail&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GZBhUeeEJIny2gW6pYGICw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629#imgrc=iWCuyT4uFAQMgM:;ddyrxGjmUQXm-M;http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_lgkm5pMRrO1qasp5k.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fblog.dirty-dog.com%2Fpost%2F3277486592%2Fhow-to-cut-your-dogs-nails;500;375

·
Registered
227 Posts
I never thought I'd even consider using one, but after reading that the short and smoother the nail, the less bad impact it has on the dog's back made me consider them.
Do you like them?

My fiance is a dog groomer at petsmart, she clips generally 5-10 dogs nails a day.

She uses a grinder on our dogs nails too, but if you get one i dont reccomend the pedipaw, it doesnt spin fast enough and causes more vibration, causing them to not like it as much.

We still clip them, you really should clip them once about every 1-2 weeks, as the more you clip them, the smaller the quick gets, and the smaller it gets, the lower you can cut the nails.

Some dogs freak out about the nail grinder, but we got ours used to it by turning it on near her for the first week or so, and once she was used to the noise we just put the bottom of it on her skin so she could feel the vibration, eventually got down by her paws and let her feel it, and now she really doesnt even squirm when we use it.

But yeah, I'd reccomend you still clip the nails, but then grind them afterwards, kind of take the edge off of them. It's also fairly quick and simple to do, once your pup is used to it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Also, you're problem with the nail cracking with nail clippers could be a few reasons.

1. you may be taking off to much at a time.
2. you may need a better brand of nail clippers.
3. i know my mother in laws dogs nails crack if you hold them the wrong way, if you're cutting horizontal, try vertical, and if you're cutting vertical try horizontal.
4. you might be cutting to slow, give it a nice hard chop, dont just ease through it, as it will crush rather than cut. The dog just feels pressure, no pain, so it doesnt matter how hard you cut.(just watch out for the quick) :p

·
Registered
227 Posts
I FINALLY bought a Dremel today. Until now, I had been having the groomer grind his nails once a month and I clipped with a standard clipper in between. I just used it for the first time today. Great success!

I bought this one:
Pet Nail Grooming Tool / Model: 7300-PT

I think I paid $47 after tax.
very nice grinder, my fiance has the same one, it works really well and the sanding wheels last a while too!

just couldnt think of the name to refer it :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I FINALLY bought a Dremel today. Until now, I had been having the groomer grind his nails once a month and I clipped with a standard clipper in between. I just used it for the first time today. Great success!

I bought this one:
Pet Nail Grooming Tool / Model: 7300-PT

I think I paid $47 after tax.
That's the one I have too. It works really well, the only problem I've had is the battery dies before I'm done. Not a big deal, I just make sure I have 2 and keep them charged so I can switch them when I'm doing the nails.
But it shouldn't be a problem for you since you just have Garp. It can do one dogs nails easily, I have multiple to do and that's when it starts to slow down sometimes.
But other than that it's awesome! I've only had it since December so we'll see how it holds up....

Reactions: beretw

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you like them?
I LOVE my dremel!

Clippers are definitely quicker, but grinding my dogs nails doesn't take long at all, since I do it weekly.

My parents dogs didn't need any desensitizing, honestly didn't care the very first time I tried it. My puppy, he is 14 weeks old and I've been dremeling since 10 weeks maybe? He gets better every time, I think in just another couple weeks I'll be able to do it alone (no one holding him) without treating him constantly.

When I worked as a groomers assistant, if a dog came in with very long nails, I'd clip what I could and dremel the rest. With my dog, and my parents, I just use the dremel, they never get long enough to need clipping.

I got mine at walmart, (not made for pets) can't remember which one it was, but it was around $25 bucks, two speeds, with a rechargeable battery and charger. Works great.

I do my puppy's nails every week. I could probably do it every 3-4 weeks, but doing it every week keeps them real nice and short.

The dremel is awesome. If your dog will let you use the dremel, I just find it less stressful. No chance of quicking your dog, especially if she has black nails- it will be easier for you. Working as a grooming assistant, I would say the vast majority of dogs that didn't like the clippers would tolerate the nail grinding much better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts