Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't imagine having a $3000 couch LOL. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and I'd rather just have cheap furniture from goodwill that I can throw away and not feel bad about if it ever gets trashed :p
Same here. We had a good laugh of a photo of a cat and a dog sitting on a ruined couch that had the caption, "We're why Mommy and Daddy can't have nice things."

We briefly tried the soft paws on the cats a few years ago but we found it easier to train our cats to accept nail clipping.

·
Banned
711 Posts
I think the point that everyone is missing is that these covers are NOT a substitute for nail clipping, in dogs or cats. The nails do in fact have to be kept very neat and short for these caps to stay on.

Everyone is assuming that the people using these are doing it so they don't have to clip the nails, which isn't true. And that's coming from someone who doesn't use them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think the point that everyone is missing is that these covers are NOT a substitute for nail clipping, in dogs or cats. The nails do in fact have to be kept very neat and short for these caps to stay on.

Everyone is assuming that the people using these are doing it so they don't have to clip the nails, which isn't true. And that's coming from someone who doesn't use them.
exactly. these will NOT stay on if the nails are too long. i use them on my cat. why? 1- i will not declaw, 2- he plays with the dogs and without them on he accidnetly hurts them preety bad with his nails, 3- i dont want him ruining everything he climbs on.

hes not a scratcher. i have no scratching post or anything for him because he just plain doesnt use them, yes even without the caps on. he hasnt had the caps on in a few months actually. mostly i use them to protect the dogs and my furnature. when he jumps onto things his nails come out automatically. clipped or not they put holes in the couch and scratches on things, so thats why i use the caps.

maybe people shouldnt judge others before they fully understand a product and its use? just because i use them doesnt mean i dont take care of my cats nails. in fact, i have one of the few cats that it bathed and blowdried regularly along with nail clipping, and is very happy to comply.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ummm... Wow. So not my intent when I started the thread. I came across them on the dog products portion of the website- didn't say anything regarding use of them on cats, nor did I say the use is to hide nail care. Obviously, you'd have to clip nails or they wouldn't fit.

Anyways, my 2 cents- I see the point of them on cats, not dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Ummm... Wow. So not my intent when I started the thread. I came across them on the dog products portion of the website- didn't say anything regarding use of them on cats, nor did I say the use is to hide nail care. Obviously, you'd have to clip nails or they wouldn't fit.

Anyways, my 2 cents- I see the point of them on cats, not dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device
On the dogs, I think it is just a easy way to imitate nail polish, which is a hassle to put on some dogs.
To each his own, i guess.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
considering the large amount of damage a dogs nails can do to flooring, there is good use for them. also dogs nails can hurt and scratch just as much even when theyre taken care of. i deal with it every single day.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
See, I'd rather my cat kept her claws so she can defend herself when Arty gets overly rambunctious. And I got a couch with a fabric that doesn't show the claw damage (and it doesn't either). On the other hand if someone wants to go through the hassle of putting them on the cat regularly then I'm not going to fuss at them. Cause you DO have to keep the nails trimmed to use them, and thats the important thing IMO.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
with a cat whos properly trained for handling, its not really a fuss at all. i sit my cat on my lap on his back (kind of like holding a baby). take a cap, drop of glue in it, slide on claw. repeat for all of them and ta-da, all done. it takes me maybe 10min at most to do.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How are they removed if they are glued on? Silly question just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
they fall off after a certain amount of time, or if the nail grows underneath it just pops it off. other than that they stay on really well. i think ive only had 2 or 3 fall off between needing to be done.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Nope, that's a good question! When the nail grows a bit the covers kind of just fall off. I would send a picture of the chair upstairs used as the scratching post (totally obliverated, lol) before Sofia got her covers but am too lazy. As for Diva and Gracie (cats) I bought an old couch from Salvation Army, guess they deign not to claw it bec...what the heck mom, it's an old couch, what's the point! It is our dog's resting place and cuddling place (my fault) when I am on the computer. Love my fur family!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
There are some dogs with naturally very soft nails. This causes pain and infection when the nail snaps and cracks during normal activity. These caps can prevent that, giving the dog a normal life.

They're also useful for protecting furniture, flooring, etc. Honestly, if this is what it takes to keep a dog in a home, I'm all for it. They do sell them in clear, so it's not (just) for decoration.

Just because I don't care about having perfect floors or expensive couches doesn't mean other people don't, or that their concerns are stupid. To each his own.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My friend considered those for her cat when she (my friend that is) was diagnosed with cancer
The doctors advised her to get rid of the cat as she was a scratcher , and that could cause serious problems for my friends health

In the end she did rehome the cat to a lovely old lady in the village as she (my friend) was worried that with all the hospital visits and recovery time she wouldnt be able to give the cat the time she deserved
It broke her heart to do it though :(

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I used them for a cat I had, they work really well. It seems really silly to use them for a dog though..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts