Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NADAC vs USDAA?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kyllobernese 
#1 ·
I do AKC agility. That's all. But now I'm seeing other trials that are NADAC and USDAA. What's the difference between them and AKC? Membership costs?

Thanks!

#2 ·
When I competed with Abby we did mainly USDAA as that was what was avaliable to us. I'd totally love to try NADAC as I love all the different games they have, but there are absloutely no NADAC trials near us *sigh*. I think USDAA membership was like $20 not sure though.

Reactions: Dogs4Jesus
#3 ·
NADAC and USDAA are sort of on opposite ends of the agility spectrum. USDAA requires tight work, Euro style handling and is harder to do at distance. They do offer a Gamblers (distance) class, but the regular courses are twisty and turney. I even saw one course where the dog took a jump, was supposed to turn immediately around and take the same jump backward. NADAC values distance almost exclusively. There is no (or exceedingly little) tight work in NADAC. AKC is sort of in between. AKC offers a "tight" Euro style class that you may or may not enter. It does not affect the regular Championship titles. AKC offers a distance class as well that doesn't affect the regular Championship titles. AKC offers tight work in their regular courses along with places where distance can be a help.

I suggest you go play in all of them and decide which flavor you most enjoy. My personal taste is AKC. Choose what you like. "Membership" costs in all are minimal.

Reactions: Sha and Dogs4Jesus
#4 ·
I suggest you go play in all of them and decide which flavor you most enjoy. My personal taste is AKC. Choose what you like. "Membership" costs in all are minimal.
I love AKC myself. We're titling and happy. My mother wants me to try branching out, though, since there's a big NADAC trial coming up near us. We figured that, since it exists, we could try it.

Really, I do love the AKC courses. The hard ones make the easy ones much sweeter. (They all seem pretty hard to me right now. I'm sure you can sympathize with a newbie. ;) )

Thanks for the info, though. I should really try them all.

Reactions: agilityk9trainer
#5 ·
I have only competed in AAC in Canada but would like to branch out into CKC. I can get a Performance number for my little cross-bred dog and have Kris, my Doberman, registered so would be able to compete with both of them in CKC. I would like to do NADAC but there is only one place they have trials and it is on Vancouver Island which means an expensive Ferry trip and either staying in a Motel or paying the high rate to bring the RV over. If they ever start to have NADAC trials on the mainland, I would go to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.