Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the forum and looking for some help with a mystery illness our 9 yr old chihuahua has been experiencing for the last 10 days. It came on suddenly, although she hurt her back left leg about 2 weeks before.

It appears to come on with activity, so in the morning after she gets up, and then in the evening when she gets up again from her sedentary day. She suddenly swells up in the neck area, can't really walk, seems to be in pain, some breathing distress (although could be the pain), teary eyes, just lays there looking like she is slowly dying. Then about 45 to 60 mins later, the swelling is gone, and she slowly returns to normal.

We have been to the vet twice, and talked to them by phone several times, but both times we were actually there the symptoms had gone and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. I can almost bring the symptoms on and then take her out there so they can see them, but I feel bad doing that to her.

They initially prescribed metacam for the pain in her leg (which she still has 3 wks later) and then prescribed Benadryl for the swelling and breathing distress (thinking it was allergy related). We now give her the metacam when these symptoms come on (as allowed by timing of medication), as it seems to help her relax through it.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever experienced such an occurrence and what was the outcome/diagnosis? We are very concerned and feel bad for her discomfort, and then confused by the turnaround to normalcy.

Any help/info/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Wow, that sounds scary. Have you discussed leaving her with your vet for a day so they can observe? That is what I would do. Btw, is this happening every day?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think leaving her is the next step, but I worry about that too; I think that will really traumatize her in her present state. Yes, it happens every day, at least twice.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Next best thing is to take video of these events and share with your vet.

Maybe you coule post over in "Dog Health" and perhaps, if our best health person "Holly" stops by she will see it. She has not been around much lately, but I think this issue is beyond most of us regulars here.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How did she hurt her leg? Was it a known accident or did you just notice her limping or something like that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She apparently did it jumping off the couch; she normally got up and down from it without a problem, and we figured she got up and then back down after we left. She was on the floor holding it tight to her and crying when we got home. We thought the pain was high in her hip but the vet said it was her kneecap sliding. She still holds it up 95% of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts