Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 5 year old toy poodle named Scarlet who became very ill a few months ago. She had a high fever and was very lethargic, and a visibly-swollen bump appeared on her side. We immediately suspected that she had been bitten by something. We took her to the vet and he shaved the area around the bump, biopsied it, and started her on a regimen of anti-biotics. After a few days, the bump went away, as did the rest of her symptoms. The biopsy yielded nothing significant, except an unusual white blood cell count.

However, a few weeks after this all began, Scar developed a small hairless spot (about two inches in diameter) on the other side of her abdomen. The hair on the spot had seemingly fallen off, and her skin in the area was dark looking. Poodles obviously don't shed (and even if they did, it wouldn't occur in just one spot), so this was quite alarming. We took her back to the vet, and he said that mange was not the cause, but he couldn't quite identify what was the cause. He prescribed us an ointment to rub daily on her spot. Quite some time has since elapsed, and the spot hasn't gotten worse - but at the same time, it hasn't really gotten any better.

To further complicate matters, tonight my mother and I closely inspected Scar's hair and found 5 small, black spots throughout her coat that appear very similar to the first spot before it had fully developed.

I am greatly worried that my dog is going to lose her hair, or that something even worse might happen, if we don't diagnose and treat this soon. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Could the hairless spot be a hotspot? I'm wondering if that and the black spots aren't related to the large bump from a few months ago. Has she been acting normal since the big bump went away? What are you feeding her? Do you have a pic of any of the spots/bumps? She could have an allergy (diet can be the culprit), and the big bump from a few months ago unrelated, but I'm just guessing. I'm wondering if the black spots are just skin discoloration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think all is good now. Just spoke to my best friend's dad who is a vet and he thinks it's IMT. Thanks for your help!

Could the hairless spot be a hotspot? I'm wondering if that and the black spots aren't related to the large bump from a few months ago. Has she been acting normal since the big bump went away? What are you feeding her? Do you have a pic of any of the spots/bumps? She could have an allergy (diet can be the culprit), and the big bump from a few months ago unrelated, but I'm just guessing. I'm wondering if the black spots are just skin discoloration.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts