Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9-month-old Yorkie is such a great dog except when she pees and poops in her crate. Her crate is not too big. She doesn't go in her crate at night when we are all sleeping. She only does it when we are gone and shes left in the crate. She has serious anxiety and she always has but I'm constantly cleaning up poop when I get home. I don't leave her for too long. 2 hours at most and she always goes potty before. I give her special treats for her crate so she doesn't mind going in...its just something sets her off while I'm gone.

I don't know what to do. Should I look into something to help with her anxiety? or keep her in the bathroom instead of the crate?

Please help me. I'm losing it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks to me that she relieves herself in her crate because she is getting all worked up.
Would you say she does not mind being in her crate otherwise? If you were to set it up for her to have access during the day, would she happily eat her treat inside the crate even with the door open?
Would she happily eat her treat while you step out of the room for a minute or so? How would she behave if you were to leave while another person stays with her in the house?
If she has issues with all of those you will need to go slow in training her to be able to stay alone for a bit. Closing her off in a room for just a few seconds at a time and praise, praise, praise for being able to remain calm for increasing amounts of time. That will not happen in just one day, but eventually you will be able to leave her longer and longer and in time she will be able to content herself with a puzzle toy like a Kong while you run your errands.
Also getting her tired out with play and exercise is quite helpful to get her to remain calm while she is alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In addition to the above, you could work long down stays with her. Slowly increase the time she has to hold a down stays, as well as the distance you walk away from her, eventually working up to you leaving the room and then the house. Keep all training positive and reward based, no corrections. I would use clicker or marker training with treats

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts