Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a west highland white terrier in October. She's now almost 6 months old and she's still peeing and pooping in the house and no matter how much i try, she doesn't seem to comprehend outside-good inside-bad.. i've tried everything.. and lately she's started to pee on my bed..

anyone got any tips? (other than stuffing her nose in it)

·
Registered
79 Posts
You have a very stubborn little terrier there! Also showing dominance! Have you taken her to Obedience classes?

Keep her on a leash that is attached to your waist. That way if she even thinks about going potty in the house you can react to it immediately and take her outside.

Punishing her after the fact, doesn't work. You have to catch her in the act. When you catch her in the act, grab her by the scruff of her neck, growl NO at her, (Don't yell as your voice will change pitch and be a higher tone, that is a submissive tone and she won't take you seriously), pick her up or chase her out the door. Make punishment quick and dominant. No, putting her face in her mess won't help.

Don't praise her for going potty outside. This will reinforce the bad habit of going inside the house.

Don't newspaper train her. That is telling her it's ok to go in the house!

Be consistent. Is she crate trained? I would crate her any time you leave the house. Feed her and give her water in her crate. Make it her little apartment and not a place to punish her. Keep her out of bedrooms and any room that your not in.

Put her in the crate at night. First thing in the morning put her outside. Any time you let her out of her crate bring her directly outside. After she eats and drinks, put her outside. Put her outside after a bath. (for some reason all dogs need to go outside after a bath! ;)) Put her outside after she wakes up. Put her outside after playing for 10 minutes. See the pattern here?

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.