Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With it being Fall, and noticing a significant amount of mosquitos in our area, I decided to reorder some flea and tick medicine for my furry friend. 6 months ago I ordered her a 6 month supply of Revolution from an online Pharmacy. I called my vet ( I go to Banfield ) and they told me I would have to bring in my dog for a heartworm test before they could write me a script for Revolution. Not a problem, I made an appointment, did a heartworm test, left with a script. That was in april. I placed an order online couple days ago for a 12 month pack of Revolution. The online pharmacy calls me, tells me that the vet will only approve a 6 month supply. I get on the phone with the vet, she tells me because my dog is due for a heartworm test in April 2016, she won't give me a script for a 12 month supply. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but a 6 month supply cost me $60 and a 12 month $84. My question is, can the vet really refuse to provide me a prescription for just flea and tick medication?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Your vet can refuse to approve any prescription.

I think their choice to refuse the 12 pack in this situation is dumb, but they're under no legal obligation to approve it because you want 12 instead of 6.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I buy heartworm medication online without a prescription. I do let the vet know which one they are on for their records though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I know many vets refuse to approve prescriptions for heartworm meds if the dog is not currently on HW medication and it doesn't have a recent negative HW test. This is because it could be dangerous for a HW-positive dog to take HW meds. However, in your case, your vet is willing to prescribe a 6-month supply, so she clearly isn't refusing your prescription for the above reason.

I think your vet is probably looking to make money, and she realizes that if she gives you a 12-month supply, you may not come in for the HW test in April. Anyway, yes, she does have the authority to refuse a prescription. But you also have the authority to switch vets. :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I know many vets refuse to approve prescriptions for heartworm meds if the dog is not currently on HW medication and it doesn't have a recent negative HW test. This is because it could be dangerous for a HW-positive dog to take HW meds. However, in your case, your vet is willing to prescribe a 6-month supply, so she clearly isn't refusing your prescription for the above reason.

I think your vet is probably looking to make money, and she realizes that if she gives you a 12-month supply, you may not come in for the HW test in April. Anyway, yes, she does have the authority to refuse a prescription. But you also have the authority to switch vets. :)
Recently there have been increasing numbers of failures of heartworm preventatives. It used to be that as long as you had your dog continuously on HW preventatives, there was no reason to redo the tests yearly, but as the failures increase, the risk of medicating a HW positive dog goes up and more and more vets are requiring yearly testing.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It could also be because doctors cannot prescribe medication past the 1yr from the most recent health exam. Example: if exam was done in April 2015, then they can only prescribe until April 2016 without another exam happening in between.

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
I think Banfield is the vet in Petco or Petsmart, right? Being a corporate environment, they may have strict policies. If any fluke thing were to happen and it could come back at them and the HW med situation, it would be bad publicity.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't know about other vets in other areas, but here, vets keep most meds on hand...they prescribe and sell the meds.

They Make money on selling meds....and if this is the case with your vet, you might have a vet who's a little burned that you are basically shopping else where and just needing his/her signature to do so.

Some vets might feel a bit disgruntled about that, and will give you the prescription script, but won't out right tell you that they are losing money by not being able to sell the product directly to you. This is because in other ways you are still their customer.

So, they might try other tactics to make it difficult for you and to make up for the loss in sales...like not allowing you a year's supply and having you come in and pay for another check up in order to get that other 6 months of meds from someplace else.

Most vets, if they don't stock the exact brand you want, can get it for you...again, at their mark up. If you have a vet that's fine with you getting meds else where that's great. But if not, you should probably figure out if what you are saving on lower priced meds, is more than those extra vet visits are going to cost in order to get the other six months.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you buy direct from the vet, then suddenly, the year supply won't be a problem in getting. :p

I could be wrong about it, but I'm kind of suspect I'm not...but still, there could also be that the vets are getting more info one how these meds interact with other things and they really do need to examine or test a pet to make sure nothing's going wrong medically from the use of them.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Did you explain to your vet about the fact that you still have lots of mosquitos around?
Mine are on heartworm prevention year round and, IMO, in areas where heartworms are at all a concern all dogs should be. Either way, I'm sure the vet is aware due to his other clients!

Your vet can refuse to approve any prescription.

I think their choice to refuse the 12 pack in this situation is dumb, but they're under no legal obligation to approve it because you want 12 instead of 6.
This. Yes, a vet can always refuse to write out any prescription for their reasons.
However, given that you were in for a heartworm test this year, I think it's silly. My guess is that Banfield has strict restrictions when it comes to such matters, so it may not really be up to the individual vet to decide. I'd suck it up and buy the 6 month supply, go in for full physical/heartworm test in April, and buy the full 12 month supply at that point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts