Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am kinda technically challenged with posting pics in threads, I can never for the life of me figure out how to make them show up in the thread so I am posting links to their pics Hope thats not too inconvenient! I wanted to introduce my other animals personally :)

The 20 gallon Long fish tank:
This fish tank is actually originally what my Bearded Dragon came in, and when I upgraded his tank I used the terrarium to make a community fish tank.

frog tank, fish tank 002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Speedbump, the Yellow Male Betta (you can see one of the Cardinal tetras next to him and he is actually a deeper banana color in person.) :
Speedbump came from my best friend's College's Bio. Dept. They did some science stuff with the Bettas and she asked me if I wanted one at the end of the schoolyear and I said sure (He was my BDAY gift from her to me). The 3 Cardinal Tetras think Speedbump is like the leader of all leaders, when they first came to the tank, they would follow him EVERYWHERE. He is like a demi-god to them I think :p

frog tank, fish tank 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Greta The Eastern Box Turtle (and her temporary home. Don't know her age):
I got Greta the day before my BDay this year. My neighbor called me to come an get this turtle she almost ran over with her car at the entrance to our neighborhood. She was just walking next to the sidewalk. There was construction going on right across from our neighborhood and she wasn't scared at all of me or my dog and had a hearty appetite and didn't seem to belong anywhere to anyone, so I decided to keep her. Since I just moved to a townhouse in VA recently, I am planning on making her an outdoor enclosure so when it gets warm she can stay out there during the warm months of the year. She laid some infertile eggs this summer! That was pretty exciting. A special feature of Greta is that she only has one nostril!

Greta's Home for now... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Greta the eastern box turtle on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rainier the Bearded Dragon (approximately 6-7 yrs old?):
I acquired Rainier from my best friend who I got Speedbump from. She originally got him from her College's Bio Dept. His background story is that He was originally in an enclosure with 2 other Beardies. 1 female and 1 male. You might be able to guess what happened next. Him and the other male fought and in the process he lost 1/2 of his tail. He has had a few homes prior to me (including my best friend) if I remember correctly. Apperantly he was kinda aggressive from what I am told by my friend, and he bit someone so hard they had to go to the hospital. So his name was Stitch after the character in Lilo and Stitch since he had varying moods. She had to go back to college and wasn't able to take him too. So I took care of him and soon she called me to tell me she couldn't keep him so since I was already taking care of him, She wanted to ask me 1st if I wanted him. I right away said "oh yea! he is never leaving me! He's mine!" I hated the name Stitch and truly felt he deserved a more majestic fitting name. I name him Rainier (means ruler or kingly in latin, but I named him after the french version of the name. Also he had this cliff/mountain decoration in his previous habitat that was his favorite to sit on so t reminded me of the mountain Rainier so my own meaning for his name is "The [dragon] king of the mountain") He is such a good guy, I can touch him all over his face he never tries to bite me, and I spent some good $ getting his parasites under control, syringe feedings, etc. and upgrading his little 20 gal. long tank to a 120 gallon sized tank.

Rainier's whole tank on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

rainier pretty looking grumpy on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Asher and Toadie (Toadwart) the Guinea Pigs (approximately 3yrs old):
Asher and Toadie were adopted when they were approximately 7 months old in VA. I went with my BF to pick them out for companions to Noboz (the other gpig I had just went and adopted with him a month earlier who unfortunately passed away after an traumatic illness and surgery a few months later) They were together so I didn't want to separate them. Asher came with her name. Toadie was named "lucky" before but it was too generic for me so I named her Toadwart after my favorite character in the Gummy Bears Series. When we tried to introduce the gpigs with Noboz, Asher the little vampire gpig chased Noboz around, bit her on her ear and made her bleed a little. So since then she refuses to get along with Toadie, who she lived with before, and is aggressive towards her. So they all had to live separately. (Noboz had such poor socialization skills, you could tell she didn't have the most privileged life before, she didn't know what the heck to do with Toadie so I just kept them separated too).

Asher:

Cherry blossom and room2009 061 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Toadie:

Cherry blossom and room2009 064 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And Just a pic of Noboz (she is just another story altogether :p)

IMG_1989 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

~MSE

PS- (Sorry for the long post LOL. I guess I wrote more than I mean to :p)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is actually black sand in the tank. I do think it brightens up the tank and compliments the colors of all my tank critters nicely.

Thank you about MLM's setup :) it took a long time and had work and a bit of money to get it set up the way I wanted even though it is by no means a work of art compared to some other setups I have seen (and I am not the most talented decorator lol) but I was proud at what I accomplished.

About Greta the turtle, I'll have to take those pics and post them, since the only ones I have of her are the full body shots in my flicker thread. What do you mean by close up? I figured that she was between 6-12 yrs since she was an egg layer and she was spotless except for the only one nostril. but I have no clue of her background so I dunno if my assumptions are accurate or not.

~MSE

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Ahh the black sand...yes...thats even better.

A shot of the top of the shell will do...if she is wild caught and laying eggs shes at minimum a decade old.. I want to see how worn the shell is.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I am up in MD right now I will have to wait till I go home today to VA or tomorrow to get them, but the pics will be u soon!

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
WOW That is NOT a small zoo!! :p WOW Adorable family you have :)

Your GP's are awesome-I *heart* tricolors!! :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My zoo isn't as big as some others on here I am sure ;)

Yea, I think the gpigs are cute too lol. I never seen such unique colorings in gpigs in person until I got them. I personally love the little 1/2 mohawk "hairdo" Toadie sports :p it fits her personality and name.

~MSE

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts