Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sweet little dog seems to have found another family to love. We are not sure where they are but he disappears quite often and the other night was gone from 9 am when he was let out until 4 am! When we let him in his fur, although it was below freezing at that point, was still warm. He is now on "lock-down" he does not go outside without one of us, and goes straight to the pen whenever he is outside for an extended period of time, we try to play as often as possible to make up for the greatly restricted roaming area, However he seems to be experiencing the symptoms of withdraw, he is normally very energetic and friendly, loves attention and cuddles and eats about the same amount every day (except the last two weeks when we are pretty sure his "other family" is feeding him). For the last two days he has been sleeping most of the day, he is grumpy and uninterested in playing, and he has barely eaten a bite since he cam home from his extended stay at the "other family's" house. He is very intent on going back to the other house, but will not reveal where he is going, when we are outside he just sits down and looks at us, and refuses to move except for going back inside. I am really concerned about him, I don't like restricting him this much but the only hint as to where he is going is for the first few days of this issue he was running up the road and i don't want him to get hit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If he does get out again, for some reason, maybe you could attach a note to his collar that asks for them to call you to inform you where he is? Not much help, sorry, but I'm sure lots of people will help you in this situation.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Is he neutered?

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Is he neutered?

It sounds like it is time to get your yard fenced in. I know you mentioned cars, but there are other dangers in being let outside unsecured... dog fights, people abusing or teasing him, eating something poisonous, being a nuisance to neighbors, causing a car accident if someone swerves, wild animals, biting someone if he gets scared, etc....

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
You let him roam without collar and rabies / ID tags?

FWIW, it's safest to not let him roam, there are way to many dangers. Around where I live there are all the ones that Crock listed, along with being shot by someone because he disturbed their animals, and venomous snakes.

If he doesn't have collar and tags, someone may assume he was dumped and decide to keep him, that's even if he's been micro-chipped. Even if he is wearing a collar and tags someone may just not care and still keep him.

Reactions: sullyrules

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

FWIW, it's safest to not let him roam, there are way to many dangers. Around where I live there are all the ones that Crock listed, along with being shot by someone because he disturbed their animals, and venomous snakes.

If he doesn't have collar and tags, someone may assume he was dumped and decide to keep him, that's even if he's been micro-chipped. Even if he is wearing a collar and tags someone may just not care and still keep him.
this

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I wonder if there is a female stray with pups hiding out and he is visiting them...gps him and then track him...this is pretty dangerous...coyotes just snatched two dogs from our neighborhood...and people take dogs and then sell them on craigslist or for dog baiting...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

He does have a collar with tags, that have all the numbers we can be contacted all. We live in the country, and since we are renting have not fenced the yard (working on expanding his pen currently) He has always stayed close to the house. Right now the pen we have for him is so small he could end up getting trapped by coyotes since it is not close enough to the house to make them uncomfortable. The day he went missing he was let out for a quick potty break, I was only intending to leave him out 10-20 minutes and then let him back in for breakfast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if there is a female stray with pups hiding out and he is visiting them...gps him and then track him...this is pretty dangerous...coyotes just snatched two dogs from our neighborhood...and people take dogs and then sell them on craigslist or for dog baiting...
We have considered the possibility of dog snatchers and the potential for him to be used as a bait dog, and both sound like an unfortunate possibility. We have looked into GPS trackers and have considered a note on his collar, but neither of these options seems feasible. Most GPS dog collars run off cell signal, which is spotty at best where we live. As for the note our concern is that someone who looks at a well fed mini Aussie with a shiny coat good manners and thinks he needs food and shelter but doesn't bother with checking his collar (which we have changed since he has been going over to their house) is not really concerned with weather or not he has a loving family.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
I guess the simple solution is to put him on a leash and take him out when he needs a potty break until you can secure a more confined space. That will save you the anxiety of wondering where he runs off to and what trouble he might be encountering if he's able to leave your property freely when you let him out.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
He does have a collar with tags, that have all the numbers we can be contacted all. We live in the country, and since we are renting have not fenced the yard (working on expanding his pen currently) He has always stayed close to the house. Right now the pen we have for him is so small he could end up getting trapped by coyotes since it is not close enough to the house to make them uncomfortable. The day he went missing he was let out for a quick potty break, I was only intending to leave him out 10-20 minutes and then let him back in for breakfast.

I'm glad that he has a collar with tags:thumbsup: It sucks that whomever he's visiting doesn't care enough to at least give y'all a call and let you know that he's been coming by them.

I do understand about only meaning to leave him alone for half an hour or so and coming back to a dog that's gone. My girl learned how to get out my electric fence but still mainly stayed in the yard when I was home. One day she decided to go exploring, a storm blew up while she was gone (she was afraid of thunder) and she didn't return for 3 days. By that time I was worried sick and just about convinced that I'd never see her again.

If you're dog isn't a fence climber / jumper you might consider getting a few of the 40" tall x-pens, attach them together and reinforce them with t-post so he can't jump at it and knock it over to form a play yard for him. I'd not leave him out alone in it at night, around here that's when the coyotes are active and they'll easily jump it, but it'll be safe enough for daytime use.

The other option is a tie out or a zip line, with those you need to be certain he can't get tangled on anything and I'd not leave him alone on either of them without checking up on him every 10 to 20 minutes.

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I wonder who he is visiting!!! I would have to figure it out somehow, my curiosity would slay me, lol. He sounds like a great dog....Maybe he'll bring his "friend" home...and I hope it's not a baby skunk or something.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
I'm sorry to be blunt, but I would worry less about figuring out where he is going and more time figuring out how to keep him safely at home. More/better/taller/deeper fencing, supervised tie out, supervised potty breaks, large dog run, etc. The attached note/gps suggestions aren't going to keep from wandering, and there are just too many dangers to keep letting him go out like this. It is also against the law in most cities/counties.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I haven't seen an answer on whether he is neutered or not. This seems to me to be a pretty important part of the puzzle. Especially since the OP is concerned about his demeanor and behavior. How old is this dog also? (Very old dogs can wander off). Please keep him on a leash!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
And dogs in our neighborhood keep disappearing due to the coyote problem...they're really hungry this year!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.