Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! We are finally home from the Expo (well technically last night, but I was way too tired to type anything), and thought I'd give my thoughts on the whole affair.

First of all, there were so many amazing seminars. You were spoiled for choice honestly. My favourite was probably Kathy Sdao's "What a Cue Can Do", it was pretty eye opening, and she is really funny. The opening session was awesome. Ken Ramirez did the opening and talked about how he clicker trained BUTTERFLIES! He also mentioned how we need to be more accepting of people that use aversives in their training. Not that we need to accept it, but to not deny working with them. We need to try and show them WHY we like
+R works so well.

Levi was awesome. I really have to applaud him. His only issue was a little bit of pulling on Day 1, but that subsided really quickly once he recognized these were not dogs for playing. He was the only Aussie I saw there, it was seriously a take-over by the labs/goldens. He was quiet and relaxed in the sessions, and awesomely focused in the labs. I got a comment from some ClickerExpo faculty members that my timing on clicks was awesome (squeeeeal), and Kathy Sdao said I was freakishly fast at adding new cues. Wahoo!

Heidi was very good as well. She spent the weekend with the hubby, but got tons of exposure to other dogs, people, elevators, and public washrooms. I would have loved to take her to some sessions, but it would have not gone well.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! For now, enjoy these pictures!

First day, opening session. SO CRAMPED.

Both dogs being very good while we ate lunch.

Very tired after our first day.

In our first session of Day two.

Getting ready for our lab.

By the end of day three, this girl was toast. She's asleep under a bench, it was so hard to wake her up!

And finally our haul from the Expo.

In the picture:
  • Mutt Mats x 2 (Purple for Heidi, red for Levi)
  • FitPaws Fit Disc
  • FitPaws Paw Pods
  • FitPaws Targets
  • ClickerExpo Conference Notes
  • Tug Toys (One fleec, the other bunny fur)
  • ClickerExpo rope frisbee (which Heidi wrecked immediately)
  • Kong Key chain (It's adorable)
  • ClickerExpo drawstring bag

·
Registered
507 Posts
Awesome! I'm glad it went so well for all of you.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
That looks like it was a lot of fun!

I'm surprised that it was predominantly retrievers- I would expect more of a mix and definitely more herders with all those dog trainers there!

Was it just for dogs or were there other animals/animal trainers there too?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like it was a lot of fun!

I'm surprised that it was predominantly retrievers- I would expect more of a mix and definitely more herders with all those dog trainers there!

Was it just for dogs or were there other animals/animal trainers there too?
To be fair, there were a lot of mixes, but TONS of Labs and Goldens. A decent number of Border Collies too.

There were only dogs there, but there was a whole Equine Track, so there were a lot of "horse people" there.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a great experience! Levi looks gorgeous in those pictures.
Aw thanks. He's my photogenic guy. Heidi always looks seriously crazy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Omg looks so much fun! Also can I say since when did Heidi become such a grown up :O! She looks like a proper BC now! Although I haven't seen a photo of her in a while she looks so grown up!

Away to go look for recent photos of her!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg looks so much fun! Also can I say since when did Heidi become such a grown up :O! She looks like a proper BC now! Although I haven't seen a photo of her in a while she looks so grown up!

Away to go look for recent photos of her!
I knooooow! But I gotcha covered:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts