Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hey There

im a tad nervous my dog ate a lot of sheep wool and has not pooped his dinner or breakfast i tried to pull it out but a lot came out and more still is just hanging out i think hes really clogged should i give him laxatives?
im really worried.
thanks

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No laxatives! If there is wool hanging from his bum and he is constipated take him to the vet and DO NOT pull on it! That could damage his insides depending on where the wool is wrapped and how far into the anal cavity it goes. If it's not coming out naturally it's time for a vet visit.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Agreed, he needs to see a vet. It's possible he's obstructed. Not just in his rectum. There could be something stuck further up. Giving a laxative could seriously cause harm because forcefully causing movement when something is stuck could damage the insides, or perforate the intestines.

Best take him to the vet and let them decide how to proceed. They may need to give him an enema, which would mean anesthetizing him and trying to remove the wool. They may also want to do a barium study to make sure there's nothing blocked further up. It may also be necessary for you to see a specialty internist, just depending on the severity of the condition.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You need to bring him to the vet. Attempting to pull it out could cause considerable damage. Many dogs eat stuff they shouldn't and turn out fine (with a vet's care) but I've known dogs that died as a result of eating stuff like that and not getting timely vet care. Definitely better to be safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Hi eelo,

I can only reiterate the advice already given, which is to seek vet care.

I'm really concerned about your dog, and I hope that you will update us when you can.

Best wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts