Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,my Shih tzu is 7 yrs old and has had a horrible itchy,smelly,scaly skin condition for 2 yrs now.She also has a lot of hair loss and some spots on her body are like leather texture.Have been taking her to the Vet and for starters given anti biotics for 4 months which gave her back some strength.Blood tests have been done with nothing showing up including mange.Has a very good appetite and is on a healthy diet with lots of veggies.Given omega oil every day.Taken off treats with the red dye.Please ,looking for someone out there that can relate to this condition and give advice,at my witts end and just want so much to get this sweet little dog better.Anxious for replies.
Kind Regards,
Bonita

·
Registered
989 Posts
How dreadful, I'm sorry the two of you are going through that!

Pictures might be really helpful. Sometimes someone can see a picture and it looks like what their dog may have gone through and they can give you some answers.

Perhaps she's allergic to fleas? What are the exact ingredients in her dog food? She may also be malnourished if she's just getting lots of veggies.

It could be something she's getting into outside like a plant or something she's eating? It could be that she's allergic to the detergent you use on your clothes. Do you spray your couches or carpets or house with any kind of perfume or spray?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hello ,my Shih tzu is 7 yrs old and has had a horrible itchy,smelly,scaly skin condition for 2 yrs now.She also has a lot of hair loss and some spots on her body are like leather texture.Have been taking her to the Vet and for starters given anti biotics for 4 months which gave her back some strength.Blood tests have been done with nothing showing up including mange.Has a very good appetite and is on a healthy diet with lots of veggies.Given omega oil every day.Taken off treats with the red dye.Please ,looking for someone out there that can relate to this condition and give advice,at my witts end and just want so much to get this sweet little dog better.Anxious for replies.
Kind Regards,
Bonita
Sounds like systemic yeast.
Dog Allergies, Dog Itchy Skin, Dog Scratching, Systemic Yeast Infection in Dogs | Allergies, Malassezia Fungus Candida, yeast overgrowth in dogs, yeast in dogs | GREATDANELADY.COM

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm curious to know what she is eating? You mention a diet full of fruits and veggies, but what is the main staple?

Reactions: Rain and cos

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am having the same problem with my chihuahua. I went to the vet and have been using a special dog food she gave me and also used a special shampoo, but it's getting worse. The vet said it is an allergy, but don't know from what. Any help out there for our poor doggies? Toni

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi, I am having the same problem with my chihuahua. I went to the vet and have been using a special dog food she gave me and also used a special shampoo, but it's getting worse. The vet said it is an allergy, but don't know from what. Any help out there for our poor doggies? Toni
I would suggest making your own thread and including photos of your doggy. Cosmo is allergic to corn, and we think wheat and grains. It caused him to lose fur and his skin to be dry and flaky.

It's a process of elimination for allergies. I would suggest only giving your dog grain free foods. Many dogs are allergic to chicken as well so maybe choose something fishy, or maybe lamb or duck.

He may also be allergic to his fleas.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@Bonita how is your dog doing now and what food is the dog on? could be anythingn from food allergy to autoimmune. have you considered a dermatologist and raw diet? a raw diet has fixed my dogs problems just get enviromental allergies now

Reactions: cos

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Friendly rules reminder!

3) Keep threads on topic.
Please keep the original poster's purpose for starting a thread in mind when posting in it. While it is natural for the topic of conversation to stray somewhat as threads evolve, please do not make posts that effectively steer a thread in a new and unrelated direction. Instead, please feel free to start a new thread where you can discuss the different topic.
To read all forum rules please see:
http://www.dogforum.com/dogforum-community-rules/dogforum-com-rules-1606/
Further arguing and off topic posts will be removed and infractions given. :eek:

In addition to all participating here please be cautious of how you state opinions and suggestions when it comes to medical stuff. One (even vets) cannot diagnose a medical condition via the internet. It's fine to offer experiences and suggestions for a member to discuss with a vet in person. Even potential causes for a vet to look into. But avoid statements that appear to diagnosis or state what a problem is!

Thanks!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts