Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 months ago my husband and I purchased this nice, soft gray comfortable comforter and have only been able to sleep with it a few times because our 1 year old Shepard mix will pee on it whenever we put it on our bed. Today I washed it yet again, she was out of the crate for a total of 5 minutes and peed right on it all through out sheets. Has anyone else had problems related to these and were you able to fix it? If so, how?

Thank you,
Mrs.Lyons

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
I take it that otherwise, she is house trained?

I wonder, did you ever use puppy pads for house training? As well as giving mixed messages about whether indoor toileting is allowed or not, sometimes certain soft textures attract dogs as they find them similar to the pads in some way.

Apart from that, I'm afraid my advice is just management. Wash the comforter in a biological washing product at 40 degrees - bio because the enzymes will eliminate the smell, 40 degrees because hotter water will kill the enzymes before they get to work. Keep your bedroom door closed when your dog isn't supervised. Maybe allow her in the room under supervision so you can direct her away from the comforter until she learns it isn't a toilet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We currently live in a 2nd floor apartment, we take her out in the morning, she is in the crate while at work, to potty again of she hasn't went and then out to potty after her dinner. We always leave puppy pads down just in case (she and our 8 month old pit bull mix used them when she was smaller, does sometimes now). But no matter what we do it seems as if she's got it out for this poor blanket! We moved from California to Kentucky and it just started happening when we purchased the comforter and she has regressed slowly into no longer thinking she can go out I guess. I'm just not sure what to do.

·
Super Moderator
376 Posts
This is why I personally dislike puppy pads - as,well as teaching the dog that indoor toileting is allowed, they often confuse other soft furnishings with being a place to toilet.

My suggestion stands - keep her away from the comforter. If she is being left all day while you are at work, could you get a dog walker to call in during the day to let her out to toilet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts