Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long haired senior dog,that we were told was spayed, is experiencing dramatic fur loss since she had a false pregnancy in July. She is now a short haired dog because of the fur loss.
We recently adopted a 13 yr.old long haired chihuahua which we were told was spayed. As it turns out she was not,went into a false pregnancy & subsequently her fur started to fall out.
She was prescribed biotin,melatonin supplements & just was spayed. Our vet said it was a hormone imbalance as she also had cysts on her ovaries when they spayed her.
I heard eggs are good for fur loss as well.
Has anyone else's dog had fur loss & does it grow back?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
There are a lot of things that can cause hair loss, but one possibility could be a nutrition deficiency. It could be a hormonal imbalance, maybe your Vet can prescribe something to help balance her, but I would also look closely at nutrition. In many ways a dogs nutritional needs are more complicated that that for humans, since their digestive systems are not nearly as effective at extracting nutrients from what they eat, as our systems are from what we eat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't know when she had a heat cycle as she never experienced any symptoms of being in heat after we adopted her. We were told she was spayed because our vet felt an abdominal scar....which turned out to be a c section scar.....However she had a false pregnancy & then her fur started to fall out before she could be spayed. She is now spayed & vet found cysts on her ovaries & symptoms of ovarian cysts are fur loss. So she is now doing well & on supplements, biotin,melatonin & skin & coat supplement powder to restore her luxurious fur coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was spayed last week & vet found cysts on her ovaries which cause symptoms of hair loss. She is on supplements to restore her fur & has always been on quality vet food both canned & kibble as we believe in feeding our dogs premium food to keep them as healthy as possible. Its only been a week since her spay but she is already starting to show signs of hair regrowth & soon will be back to her fluffy coat before winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts