Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
For the past week, my rottweiler has got some cloudy purple/blue-ish eyes, and i can clearly see that she is not being able to see normally. She stumbles on things and also gets kindof scared on any small reaction close to her.
She is 6 years old.

Here is an image of the eyes: https://ibb.co/Mpmn0ct

I have two rottweilers, and its easy to see clear difference between their eye colors.

I have an appointment with the vet on wednesday, but meanwhile, is there anything i can do myself?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi riflen, most likely cataracts. My vet noticed my 12.5 yo collie with same a couple months ago. She behaves just like your rottweiler and I assumed her jumpy reactions were because she didn't see motion coming toward her until it got so close it then scared her. My vet said her vision is blurry because of them and in most dogs can be surgically corrected.

Until Wednesday, keep her away from anything that could harm her and care for her as if she can't see anything a foot or so away from her.
If you have stairs, somehow block them from her. You probably already figured on these things but thought I would reach out anyway.

Shannon's mom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi riflen, most likely cataracts. My vet noticed my 12.5 yo collie with same a couple months ago. She behaves just like your rottweiler and I assumed her jumpy reactions were because she didn't see motion coming toward her until it got so close it then scared her. My vet said her vision is blurry because of them and in most dogs can be surgically corrected.

Until Wednesday, keep her away from anything that could harm her and care for her as if she can't see anything a foot or so away from her.
If you have stairs, somehow block them from her. You probably already figured on these things but thought I would reach out anyway.

Shannon's mom
Hi Shanshan
Yes, after reading about cataracts, it indeed looks like it. I will get her an emergency appointment tomorrow.

Did your dog get a surgery, and was everything ok afterwards. Any side effects?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My 14 year old Shih Tzu x Maltese has eyes like that and I know his eyes have cataracts, quite common as they get older but some dogs like people can get them at any time. Good to get it checked out at the Vet just in case it is something else that can be helped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did your dog get a surgery, and was everything ok afterwards. Any side effects?[/QUOTE]

No, she did not. She is 12.5 yo and not a good candidate for surgery, (anesthesia). My vet said that as long as a dog with cataracts is protected by you, she can live a good life, that sight is one of their least desired senses, smell on the other hand being everything to a dog.

How did your visit to your veterinarian turn out? Will you go with the surgery since your dog is much younger than mine?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Miles, the dog in my avatar, went completely blind about the same age, and he had a wonderful life for another two years until he passed away in January.

A product that really helped him was a halo. I got him a Muffin's Halo, which he wore while taking walks and visiting friends' homes. He didn't need it in our own home:

https://muffinshalo.com/

I really like the halos this company produces because the side "wings" work as shock absorbers to cushion the blow when he ran into things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts