Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres the situation...

I moved in with a new roomate about 5 months ago. We have been good friends for a long time but just recently moved in together because we had both recently went through divorce and were kinda needing to get back on our feet. We are renting the house from a friend. Its kinda an odd layout, its a house that is really kinda 2 separate apartments with a kitchen in the middle that we share.

Now about the dog. She is an Australian cattle dog (blue heeler), she is about 7 years old. My roommate got her about 1 year ago, 6 months before I moved in. Her previous owner was leaving the country and could not take her, so my roommate took her on.

So when I moved in she was real loyal to my roommate. It seems that has all changed now and she seems to spend 90% of her time with me. Although he hasn't really said too much I can tell that it is bothering him. I think he feels like I "stole his dog".

Here is where the problem lies I think. He is very busy with work, at least gone 40 hours per week. I work from home and am a homebody in general so I am home almost all day with the dog. She spends alot of time with me. I am also a smoker (I know) so every time I go outside to smoke she follows me and I throw the ball with her. She gets alot more play from me than him.

It seems like I am also a much more affectionate to the dog. I am petting her and rubbing her and talking to her much more than him. It is just my personality, I am a lover :) My roomate is not as much of a lover/petter to her.

So now the dog follows me everywhere. When me and roomate are together she always lays by my feet, not his. She spends every night sleeping right by my bedroom door, and doesnt sleep near roomate anymore.

So as you can see this is an odd situation. I have tried at times to (quietly) shoo her off when she is hanging in my side of the house. Sending her to his side to go hang out. You can tell she doesnt want to do that though, she wants to be with me. Even if i can get her to go off to his side of the house she is always back with me within 2 minutes.

I am pretty stuck here, I dont know what to do. She is such a sweet great loyal dog, I just cant help loving/petting/playing with her.I feel bad turning her away when I know she wants to hang out with me. Yet I dont want to make my roomate upset. I have read about the ACDs that they like to pick one person and be totally loyal to them, I think she has picked me.

Im sure im not the only person to find myself in this situation. I feel bad because he deals with all the food/vet/etc bills that go along with the dog and I just seem to reap all the good rewards.

Please help? How do I handle this?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have you explained to your roommate why you think the dog has bonded to you? He might have to up his game to get her interest back, by playing with her, taking her for walks, and actually interacting with her when he is home. It may be that the dog will always hang out with you while you are there and he's gone, but there isn't any reason she can't learn to dump you in favor of him, when he's home. But he'll have to put the effort in to have that happen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not to sound too extreme ... but you may have to move out for everyone's sake. If the dog bonds with you too much, she'll be really sad when you eventually split ways (so better sooner than later). Otherwise, if you want to stay living together, you should ask if you can take ownership of the dog because it really isn't fair that he pays all the bills and you get to reap all the benefits.

I know it sounds harsh ... and maybe it is ... but these are just my initial thoughts.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Im sure im not the only person to find myself in this situation. I feel bad because he deals with all the food/vet/etc bills that go along with the dog and I just seem to reap all the good rewards.

I think it is always better to get things out in the open. Talk to your roommate.
It maybe a relief you're stepping up because he does not have the time. You may be worrying about nothing.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I agree about talking to him and explaining everything.

I do understand about not being able to say no to her when she's seeking affection and attention, I'm the same way. I can think of a couple of solutions that may work.

1. Put up some babygates to keep her on your roommates side of the house and have him start to interact with her more. Him interacting with her is really important if he doesn't do that she'll just bide her time and wait for you.

2. Switching ownership of the dog, she becomes your dog and you take on the bills for her care. He'll still be able to interact with her, but you'll be the legal owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so heres the situation...

I moved in with a new roomate about 5 months ago. We have been good friends for a long time but just recently moved in together because we had both recently went through divorce and were kinda needing to get back on our feet. We are renting the house from a friend. Its kinda an odd layout, its a house that is really kinda 2 separate apartments with a kitchen in the middle that we share.

Now about the dog. She is an Australian cattle dog (blue heeler), she is about 7 years old. My roommate got her about 1 year ago, 6 months before I moved in. Her previous owner was leaving the country and could not take her, so my roommate took her on.

So when I moved in she was real loyal to my roommate. It seems that has all changed now and she seems to spend 90% of her time with me. Although he hasn't really said too much I can tell that it is bothering him. I think he feels like I "stole his dog".

Here is where the problem lies I think. He is very busy with work, at least gone 40 hours per week. I work from home and am a homebody in general so I am home almost all day with the dog. She spends alot of time with me. I am also a smoker (I know) so every time I go outside to smoke she follows me and I throw the ball with her. She gets alot more play from me than him.

It seems like I am also a much more affectionate to the dog. I am petting her and rubbing her and talking to her much more than him. It is just my personality, I am a lover :) My roomate is not as much of a lover/petter to her.

So now the dog follows me everywhere. When me and roomate are together she always lays by my feet, not his. She spends every night sleeping right by my bedroom door, and doesnt sleep near roomate anymore.

So as you can see this is an odd situation. I have tried at times to (quietly) shoo her off when she is hanging in my side of the house. Sending her to his side to go hang out. You can tell she doesnt want to do that though, she wants to be with me. Even if i can get her to go off to his side of the house she is always back with me within 2 minutes.

I am pretty stuck here, I dont know what to do. She is such a sweet great loyal dog, I just cant help loving/petting/playing with her.I feel bad turning her away when I know she wants to hang out with me. Yet I dont want to make my roomate upset. I have read about the ACDs that they like to pick one person and be totally loyal to them, I think she has picked me.

I have this similar situation, and it makes me feel really bad like I stole my roommates dog. When I go to work she just sits in the chair watching the door won't eat or drink until I get home. She used to sleep in my roommates room but won't now wants to sleep in my room. I know this hurts roomies feelings but it's the dog that chose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn’t see this 6 years ago when it was originally asked, but the same question may apply to Sasha or others with the same issues.

For the person who originally posted this, the dog was older, when the roommate (he) got it..... the new roommate (poster) may be female. We don’t know the dog’s previous life experiences, so the bond to a male or female may be different.

Just something to keep in mind when a dog “picks a person”. Other things too.... beard/hair color/length /body type etc. If it wasn’t acquired as a puppy you may not know why it bonds or is put off by certain traits

1 - 7 of 7 Posts