Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 2 1/2 yr old mix 10 days ago. I live in a townhouse and she will not pee or poop outside on leash and she has not had any accidents in the house or in her kennel. I've tried a longer leash so she can have privacy. She loves to walk and is interested in smelling everything along the way, but will not go to the bathroom. My neighbor took her for a walk one night last week & she peed and pooped for him. Last weekend we were at my son's cabin, and she was off leash most of the time & we occasionally saw her take care of business & enthusiastically praised her. It is now Wednesday PM and she hasn't peed since Monday AM. She's otherwise adjusted beautifully; happy, calm, comes when called, friendly with people & dogs. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You should have a vet check her out just to make sure there's not bladder infection or anything like that....that makes peeing painful so she's trying to avoid doing it.

Also, you might try taking a water bottle out with you...and pour some where it will make a bit of a splashing sound...maybe like with humans, the sound of running water will trigger the dog's need to pee.

You never said how big the dog was...but if she's pretty small, you should also check out all the out of the way areas in your home where she might be peeing...like under a bed, or in a closet, or behind a sofa.

I've never really praised my dogs all that much for peeing, as to me, that's a natural thing to do and eventually they just come to understand to do it outside. I did give them praise for letting me know they needed to go outside.

When any of my dogs have had accidents in the house, I just clean it up without saying anything. Talking to the dog, or yelling at it or showing it it's mess...will only stress a dog out and sometimes make things even worse.

As long as there isn't any medical problems, your dog should start truly adjusting herself to her new life. She might be looking happy and relaxed, but there is still probably some stress there and it could take several weeks up to several months before the dog feels secure.

Stormy

Reactions: myrottenones
1 - 2 of 2 Posts