Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know all pups have hyper moments, but every now and then she get TOO hyper, she starts to growl and snap at hands and even faces if shes on your lap.
any way to help stop the behavior? ive tried just ignoring her, because obviously shouting doesnt help, but it does get intimidating when shes snarling.. it's like shes got multi personalitys!!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Put her down and leave the room or ignore her for a minute or so. Or yelp (if it doesn't excite her), put her down, and ignore her for a few seconds, whichever is more effective. Ignoring her is the correct thing to do, but that also means not holding her or interacting with her. It's not an instant fix. I've also learned to identify when my puppy is too excited and will nip, and I don't touch her at those times, so she doesn't get in a habit. I will throw a toy or something to get the crazies out, then wait until she is calm to touch her again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aye, its just sometimes she just switches so fast, she'll be all snuggly and calm on your lap one second, the next she bounces up to your face, no warning or anything. all pups go through this though dont they....?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Mine is. ;) She's getting much better though. She doesn't try to bite faces really any more, and we've been doing the putting her down and ignoring her thing since we got her about a month ago.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
More outdoor exercise earlier in the day will help. Really good outdoor romping gets a lot of this excess energy and excitement expended in a healthy way.

Also, sometimes when puppies are over tired and over stimulated at the same time, they go nuts like this, so just put her in her crate for a nap.

The key is for you to stay super calm. She cannot help herself, and she will outgrow it in time too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When your pup is on your lap and starts to get "crazy," you should put her on the floor right away so she learns that she can only be on your lap when she is calm. Alot of puppies catch on to these things with consistancey and when the motivation is to be by you, they seem to catch on quickly.

Simple, short "puppy time outs" are affective as well (maybe 5 minutes as long as they are quiet). You shouldn't act angry, just simply putting them in a space by themselves without saying anything is all that is needed for a "time out." I also really like the other adivce posted here, but I just thought I'd add in the puppy time outs as well since I've had alot of great results with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts