Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , can anyone give me some advise on how to stop my 4 month old pup to stop chewing the garden furniture and earth, she has lots of chew sticks/bones and also a couple of toys, when ive caught her , ive punished her and given her her chew bones etc, but she insists on whats not hers, HOW CAN I STOP HER!!!!! she´s ruining the patio furniture and plants.:mad:

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is a product called Bitter Apple that is a taste deterent. You spray it on furniture and things you don't want chewed. They also have a formula specifically for plants. There is different products as well that are taste deterants. Im not sure what is available in Spain, but you can also drizzle hot sauce(Habenero-sp?) on the furniture.
The one concern I want to point out is with the plants. Some plants are toxic to animals and can make them sick. If possible, until you can try a taste deterent or you can identify them as pet safe, I'd remove the plants so she cannot chew them.
You are on the right track with the correction and then giving her the correct dog toy, but she is a pup so as she will be a little hard headed! The best thing you can do is stay consistant. She will eventually get it!
Also, you might want to consider starting obidience (sp) classes if you have not already. This will help alot.
Hope this helps you out! Please let us know how it goes!
GG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...many thanks for your advise, i will look and see if those products are available in spain, and funny enough i did put hot chilli sauce on the legs of the garden furniture,( i was desperate, jeje) and she has kept away but if i dont keep and eye on her she will go for a part that hasnt got the hot chilli sauce...my son said " be carefull mum, she might get to like it " its true..so i will try and see if i can get the products that you are suggesting, and as for the plants...she goes more for the earth than the actual plant, and tends to eat the earth , is there a reason for this, could she be lacking in some type of mineral or something...i find it very strange, will keep you posted on her behavour....thanks once again...i think this forum is great...all the advise is so helpfull...:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read somewhere that when you train your puppy, or get him to do some exercise regularly, he'll eventually get tired and will just want to rest the whole day after work out. If this is true, then you don't have to worry about your patio, you just have to spend time walking him around and playing until he gets tired. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are able to get a couple of treat toys, stuff it with peanut butter or pumpkin (like those in a can for pumpkin pie) and freeze it overnight to make it harder for your dog to get it out. This will make your dog spend more time on the toy and less on the furniture but exercising your dog is definitely a very good idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Krazy--We are adopting a Basset puppy in a couple of weeks. I've heard mention the idea of freezing stuff. My only concern is when it melts. We have hard wood floors, but that would still make quite the mess.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Jbirdag96

If you use peanut butter or pumpkin (like I mentioned), it will be sticky enough to stay inside the treat toy. The other option is to use a rubber chew ball, like those in the picture below, and insert a piece of treat in side. This makes it harder for a dog to get the treat out. Kong is also good but my dogs get their treats out so easily because the open end is still too wide. If you have a small dog, you can also use an empty toilet tissue tube. Put a piece of treat in side and close each end tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would most large pet store chains have those chew balls? I've never seen those before. Granted, I've not owned a puppy in years, but I do go by 2 chain stores on occasion for our other pets.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi Jbirdag96

If you use peanut butter or pumpkin (like I mentioned), it will be sticky enough to stay inside the treat toy. The other option is to use a rubber chew ball, like those in the picture below, and insert a piece of treat in side. This makes it harder for a dog to get the treat out. Kong is also good but my dogs get their treats out so easily because the open end is still too wide. If you have a small dog, you can also use an empty toilet tissue tube. Put a piece of treat in side and close each end tight.

LOL my parrot has the bird version of this toy....got it at petco.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts