Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am wondering how i can stop this/what the reason may be. there are three of us living in my home (my mum, brother and i) i have a 16 week old collie puppy who keeps chewing up my clothes particularly underwear and pyjamas and some other stuff. she doesnt chew anyone elses clothes in the house bar mine. and she is never caught doing it to be scolded so she doesnt even know its wrong.
how can i train her not to? i am also curious to know why she keeps doing it to just me?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
hi i am wondering how i can stop this/what the reason may be. there are three of us living in my home (my mum, brother and i) i have a 16 week old collie puppy who keeps chewing up my clothes particularly underwear and pyjamas and some other stuff. she doesnt chew anyone elses clothes in the house bar mine. and she is never caught doing it to be scolded so she doesnt even know its wrong.
how can i train her not to? i am also curious to know why she keeps doing it to just me?
If she hasn't been caught chances are you weren't wearing those clothes at the time.
This is a great incentive for you to learn how to pick up your clothes and hang them up or put them away in drawers.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Hi @aimeesmith97 and welcome to DF!

I imagine your pup targets your clothes based on scent.

I suggest teaching your dog a "leave it" command. It won't necessarily fix the problem right away but over time, she is likely to understand what is appropriate for chewing and what isn't.

In the meantime, I recommend keeping things out of her reach if she is unsupervised. If you are in your room, put some clothes on your floor to set up a training opportunity. If she tries to pick it up, take it away, give her one of her toys and praise her. If she sniffs at it, say 'leave it' and be ready with a wonderful treat when she looks at you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts