Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 month old morkie, Whiskey, had a traumatic event a few nights ago. Normally, Whiskey sleeps at the foot of our bed or in his own bed by my beside. It seems like he was chewing on an extension cord in his bed when he got electrocuted. My husband pulled the cord from the outlet and grabbed it out of his mouth. It was horrible however he recovered healthwise but not psychologically. Whiskey never touched nor chewed on cords ever, which was why it was such a surprise. It seems like he woke up in the middle of the night to play and was chewing on it in his bed. He normally sleeps very well through the night. Now Whiskey is not sleeping well, not sleeping where he normally would and hides under the bed or in the closet at night. We have soothed him and given him space to come out on his own, however he doesn't seem to be recovering. He sometimes just sits up and stares around. We are spending more time playing with him and giving him attention. Other than the sleep issues, he is acting like he normally does when it comes to play, greeting us, etc. It's been 3 days since this happened. I know that this will take time but what can I do to help him recover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
So sorry to read that this happened to your pup! :( Like you said, it has only been three days, but it may indeed take longer for the memory to wear off. You are doing all the right things by giving him more attention and giving him time. His mouth was not burnt or otherwise injured, I hope? Be sure to keep an eye out for breathing difficulties or other problems. This site explains what to look for. If this is the case, a trip to the vet will be necessary.

I suggest that, if you have not already, 1, remove any exposed appliance wiring and put them behind furniture, or up out of reach. If you can't do that, apply some bitter apple spray/ointment to them in case of future incidents (you'd be surprised how often pets *will* go back to the habit).

2, get Whiskey a treat toy like a Kong, and put some frozen goodies for him to work on. There are all kinds of dog puzzle toys out there, and the more you can get him to concentrate on other things, the easier it will be for him to get over this traumatic incident.

3, if time, toys, etc., doesn't seem to be doing the trick, again, a visit to the vet and/or a behaviorist will likely be necessary.

Others will likely have more suggestions, but you're doing very well to keep a calm, quiet and comfortable environment for him to recover. Please let us know how he's doing! So often we read of these situations, and never know how they work out. All the best to you and Whiskey!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,819 Posts
A good way to puppy proof wiring is with PVC pipe, you can cut it to the length that you need, and cover it with contact paper so that it looks nicer. Thread the wire through the pipe and push it out of the way. There's elbows that you can use if you need the pipe to go up the wall or make a turn.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top