Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got an 9 week old Alaskan Klee Kai Puppy a couple of days ago. I know the breed is shy, so I'm not surprised she's nervous around most people except for me, who she seems to have taken a liking to. She seems, however, to be particularly nervous around my mom. My mom treats her no different than I do, and actually gives her more space. In fact, from the puppy's perspective I would think she treats her better, since I am the one to put her in her crate and 'bother' her the most by messing with her feet and checking on her teeth just so she gets used to that kind of thing.

I know she's a new puppy and will take some time to adjust to everyone, but is there anything my mom can do to not have this become a permanent thing?

I've asked her to help me train the puppy so she'll maybe associate her with getting treats. Will that help?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I've asked her to help me train the puppy so she'll maybe associate her with getting treats. Will that help?
Feeding is the way to a puppies heart. She should do one of the feedings and yes lots of treats also. Tell her not to approach just toss the treat to the pup and move on. The puppy will then start to follow her looking for more. Make sure they are really yummy treats.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Feeding is the way to a puppies heart. She should do one of the feedings and yes lots of treats also. Tell her not to approach just toss the treat to the pup and move on. The puppy will then start to follow her looking for more. Make sure they are really yummy treats.
This is how I got my dog to like my MIL. At the time, we lived with her so it was vital that she get along with Kabota. I bought special treats just for her to use, and told her to toss him a treat whenever she wanted to. She is now his favorite person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.