Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just got a 7 week old pure bred chocolate lab puppy. Her name is Huntlee. I picked her up this past Friday and I feel like she is starting to get settled in.

The one problem I am noticing is her eating habits. The breeder sent home a baggie with some puppy chow that she had been eating. Friday-Sunday she had eaten all of it.

I then went and got a new brand of food "Blue" for puppies (large breed).

Recently she wont eat much throughout the day, she only eats early in the morning when she is taken out of the crate.

She also seems to sleep alot during the day and we play constantly but when she's tired she goes off and lays and falls asleep.

Her not eating is starting to worry me, I had a black lab years ago and he ate just fine. I'm not sure If I am doing something wrong or what but I just want her to be healthy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The sudden change in food is likely upsetting her stomach. Contact the breeder and find out what food she's been on and put her back on that. You can switch foods gradually in a couple weeks once she's more settled in.

I had a similar problem with my pup when I first had her. It's really nerve-wracking!

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that would be the reason why she is sleeping also?

She was eating puppy chow with the breeder.

I am not sure what brand she was eating but I did buy Purina Puppy chow.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If she's not eating and seems lethargic, I would take her to your vet. Honestly, I would take any new puppy, regardless of behaviour to my vet within the first week for at least a health exam, she could have worms or the dreaded parvo; at least at a health exam you can ask the doctor all the questions you may have about her behaviour and food.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree, a new puppy visit is a must. But puppies do sleep a LOT. All babies do.
And just switching the food won't work. It has to be the food she was eating for a long time at the breeder's. Sudden changes really upset dog's (especially puppy's systems).

Reactions: cookieface

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
First, welcome to DF!
Second, I love your pups name!
Third, ditto all of the above suggestions. Changing food must be done gradually. Your pup may be in a bit of culture shock too since mommy and siblings are no longer there. I would also like to suggest bringing her to the vet and doing a fecal test. My pup had similar 'symptoms' as yours. The test determined she had giardia. Totally treatable, no big deal. The vet gave me some meds and will retest. After 3 days on the meds, I had a different dog. She was eating great and had a LOT more energy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

We need pictures, too! :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Don't you have another post about this pup having diarrhea? I concur with those who suggest you have her checked out by your Vet.

Sleeping a lot during the day is normal for puppies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grabby- This is my first post on this forum.

I have scheduled a vet visit this saturday and they are going to do a nose to tail health exam. I believe she could also have worms. She was given de-worm treatments with the breeder but she may still have some.

She is a beautiful dog and she was a little more playful today. I gave her the original food she had been eating and she seems to be eating better.

I feel like she is my baby and I sit at work at find my self worrying about her.

Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate the fast response and the encouragement.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Grabby- This is my first post on this forum.

I have scheduled a vet visit this saturday and they are going to do a nose to tail health exam. I believe she could also have worms. She was given de-worm treatments with the breeder but she may still have some.

She is a beautiful dog and she was a little more playful today. I gave her the original food she had been eating and she seems to be eating better.

I feel like she is my baby and I sit at work at find my self worrying about her.

Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate the fast response and the encouragement.

Glad she's doing better! You can switch her food to something top notch gradually, over the course of a couple weeks once she's more settled in.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Sorry, I must have gotten you confused with another new member. Old age strikes again.

Glad to hear she's eating better. I'm glad you've got an appointment for the vet Saturday. I owned many Labs and they are surely some of the cutest puppies. :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
oh lets see a photo! i have a purebred chocolate lab too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts