Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need advice as to what to do. I've noticed lately my puppy has been getting poop stuck in her butt. Not on her butt hairs! Seems like she may have accidentally eaten hair and the hair is in her butt with poop mixed onto it. Sorry this is gross! But today it made my puppy specially uncomfortable. She let out a yelp and seems scared. I thought she had gotten bit before I saw it hanging there. Should I give her a warm bath and try taking the hair peice out? Will it hurt her insides? And is this bad?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
It sounds like she may be constipated. Are her poops kind of hard and small? How long has this been going on?

Adding some 100% canned pumpkin (not the pie filling kind with spices and sugar, just pure pumpkin) can sometimes help because of the extra fiber.

I also recommend scheduling a vet visit. Especially if this has been going on more than a day or two. Sometimes dogs do occasionally get constipated if they've eaten something that they shouldn't have, or their system isn't handling something well. But if it's recurring or won't go away, it could be a sign of a more serious issue that needs vet care. You might also want to look into a different diet that contains more fiber.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pumpkin puree is a good source of fiber and helps with the digestion process, BUT it absorbs water which is the opposite of what you want to with a constipated dog IMO, pumpkin would be great for diarrhea however. But I would recommend plain non fat or low fat yogurt, because of its natural probiotics, it can help restore the balance to your dog’s gut and get all the good bacteria thriving. If constipation persists for more than a day or so, I would recommend seeing a vet.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Pumpkin puree is a good source of fiber and helps with the digestion process, BUT it absorbs water which is the opposite of what you want to with a constipated dog, pumpkin would be great for diarrhea however. But I would recommend plain non fat or low fat yogurt, because of its natural probiotics, it can help restore the balance to your dog’s gut and get all the good bacteria thriving. If constipation persists for more than a day or so, I would recommend seeing a vet.
Do you have some sources about that?

I've never seen any articles that don't recommend pumpkin for constipation, or suggest it should be avoided. Everything I've read says pumpkin helps regulate the digestive system and relieves both constipation and diarrhea.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Do you have some sources about that?

I've never seen any articles that don't recommend pumpkin for constipation, or suggest it should be avoided. Everything I've read says pumpkin helps regulate the digestive system and relieves both constipation and diarrhea.
I have read lots of info that says that pumpkin absorbs water, so I'm not quite sure how that would help with constipation. I do see where it can speed up the digestion process but that is pointless if the dog cannot pass the hard dry stool. Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Pumpkin: Why is it such a popular treatment for diarrhea?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Yes I know that, but none of those sources actually say that pumpkin is not good for constipation...If you look up solutions for constipation, they pretty much all will suggest pumpkin for the fiber content because it regulates digestion and stool consistency (your first link states that too). I can't imagine they would do this if it actually made them MORE constipated. I know it sounds counter-intuitive from a logical point of view, but I'm wondering if there is more going on in the system when pumpkin is consumed that we aren't aware of.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes I know that, but none of those sources actually say that pumpkin is not good for constipation...If you look up solutions for constipation, they pretty much all will suggest pumpkin for the fiber content because it regulates digestion and stool consistency (your first link states that too). I can't imagine they would do this if it actually made them MORE constipated. I know it sounds counter-intuitive from a logical point of view, but I'm wondering if there is more going on in the system when pumpkin is consumed that we aren't aware of.
Yes it does sound counter-intuitive lol, we do know that pumpkin makes stools more firm so that's why I suggest it for diarrhea, however I cannot figure out for sure how it could then work for constipation so I don't feel comfortable advising it as a solution for that problem. I would not recommend anything to anyone that I don't use myself. But I did make sure to state that some people do use pumpkin to aid constipation, just that I personally dont. It's definitely not my intent to give any inaccurate info :)

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Yes it does sound counter-intuitive lol, we do know that pumpkin makes stools more firm so that's why I suggest it for diarrhea, however I cannot figure out for sure how it could then work for constipation so I don't feel comfortable advising it as a solution for that problem. I would not recommend anything to anyone that I don't use myself. But I did make sure to state that some people do use pumpkin to aid constipation, just that I personally dont. It's definitely not my intent to give any inaccurate info :)
Thats why I was asking if you had sources. I've fed it for diarrhea AND constipation, and it seems to help both ways. I'm not a physiologist unfortunately! LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She has no trouble pooping. But it gets stuck hanging by hair( it looks like my hair,long and dark) I see the hair in her poop aswell. It's been happening for a while but on and off. I assume its because when they're chewing on stuff in has hair stuck to it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
She has no trouble pooping. But it gets stuck hanging by hair( it looks like my hair,long and dark) I see the hair in her poop aswell. It's been happening for a while but on and off. I assume its because when they're chewing on stuff in has hair stuck to it?
Oooh I see, I think some punctuation would have helped us to better understand lol. Have you tried trimming the hair from around her anus, or having it done at the groomers?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I comb them often and it's not their hair. It's both of my puppies, one of them.. Has extremely short hair. I think they eat it when they're chewing bones on the floor. They're solid hairs, and I know they're mine. But the poop is completely normal, in color and size...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I comb them often and it's not their hair. It's both of my puppies, one of them.. Has extremely short hair. I think they eat it when they're chewing bones on the floor. They're solid hairs, and I know they're mine. But the poop is completely normal, in color and size...
Maybe investing in a good vacuum would help, there's a thread here somewhere about good vacuum cleaners. Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All my floor is tile and I sweep 2 times a day! They take theirs bones everywhere with them and I don't take them away so I'd believe my hair could fall on them or the bone could fall on my hair. But is it bad for them? I'm scheduling an appointment but at the moment I don't have the fee. So I can't take them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
This happens to my dog too. It's frustrating because it inhibits their ability to get all of their poop out. I usually.pull the hair out of Merlin's butt if I can see it and limit how much he can play with my hair (because I know that's how he eats it). But he loves jumping on my head when I'm sitting on the couch or at his level at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.