Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new puppy. He is a mix between and olde English bull dogge and an english bull dog. He's about two months old and I brought him home last night. Everything is going well except with the relationship with our older dog. She is a 9 yr old shi-tzu who is sweet as can be and not aggressive at all. She is very passive and seems almost scared of my new puppy. He chases my shi-tzu around and they trade some growls. I don't think he is trying to hurt her, but I thought I'd post in here to see if anyone has any advice. I don't want to get rid of him, but I feel awful for my shi-tzu. Please help:(

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
That is a very active breed mix. He may not hurt your Shih-Tzu on purpose but I sure would be concerned of hyper puppy accidents. I would be sure to have a kennel or safe place out of reach for the Shih-Tzu to get to stay out of the way. When my Golden gets the rips in the house. The smaller Chihuahua has kennels and a cat dome she can get into out of the way and she does.:) Unfortunately it is going to be a while before he calms down. Training will definitely help with manners...also plenty of play to use up all the energy he is going to have...:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. This sounds pretty normal to me, the new pup is only eight weeks old and acting like a regular new puppy would. I would just give it some time, and see if they don't grow on each other. I'm sure this is a crazy new experience for your shih-tzu but hopefully she will see that he is a baby, and just wants to play. I had a similar situation when I brought home a baby saint bernard pup who acting in much the same manner as your pup, with my 8 year old lady basenji. He thought she was fascinating and wanted to be friends so bad, but she would not want anything to do with him at first. After a few weeks of working with them both, you can not find two better friends, they are inseparable and shes only 23 lbs while hes 6 months old and around 115. So I think if you use a little finesse and patience, they may come around and learn to accept each other. He is still really new to the world, and an older dog may take longer to accept him. I hope it works out, good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a very active breed mix. He may not hurt your Shih-Tzu on purpose but I sure would be concerned of hyper puppy accidents. I would be sure to have a kennel or safe place out of reach for the Shih-Tzu to get to stay out of the way. When my Golden gets the rips in the house. The smaller Chihuahua has kennels and a cat dome she can get into out of the way and she does.:) Unfortunately it is going to be a while before he calms down. Training will definitely help with manners...also plenty of play to use up all the energy he is going to have...:)
So you don't think there is any cause for concern?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations on your new puppy. This sounds pretty normal to me, the new pup is only eight weeks old and acting like a regular new puppy would. I would just give it some time, and see if they don't grow on each other. I'm sure this is a crazy new experience for your shih-tzu but hopefully she will see that he is a baby, and just wants to play. I had a similar situation when I brought home a baby saint bernard pup who acting in much the same manner as your pup, with my 8 year old lady basenji. He thought she was fascinating and wanted to be friends so bad, but she would not want anything to do with him at first. After a few weeks of working with them both, you can not find two better friends, they are inseparable and shes only 23 lbs while hes 6 months old and around 115. So I think if you use a little finesse and patience, they may come around and learn to accept each other. He is still really new to the world, and an older dog may take longer to accept him. I hope it works out, good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you don't really think there is a reason to be worried? Should I try and make them bond? Like take them on walks together etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
No..not aggression just play..happy active puppy play. :) Again I would get him into some type of training just so he knows what is good and inappropriate behavior in your home..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We go in Saturday for class :) I really appreciate it. I just got super nervous cuz at times it seemed like there was aggression with all the growling. My shi-tzu seemed pretty scared at times so that's why I got nervous.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
So you don't really think there is a reason to be worried? Should I try and make them bond? Like take them on walks together etc?
Posted via Mobile Device
I would not push it..They will learn to live together the way which is best for them...:) Bonding in their own special way..:D JMO though..I have never pushed my dogs together, they just came together on their own time..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. I won't try and force them together. Would it be a bad idea to take them on a walk together? Or should I just let them do their own thing?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Good to know. I won't try and force them together. Would it be a bad idea to take them on a walk together? Or should I just let them do their own thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Walking is okay as long as the puppy does not pounce on the Shih..that could cause the Shih to have fear or get hurt on accident..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Walking is okay as long as the puppy does not pounce on the Shih..that could cause the Shih to have fear or get hurt on accident..
Okay. Well like I said I really appreciate your help. If you think of anything else I should know, don't hesitate to tell me please! Thanks! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Your puppies growling is probably play growling, my dog has done that since he was a puppy. He'd growl while rough housing, or playing tug of war. Your shi-tzu is probably growling back at him as a warning, kind of saying leave me alone.

Always supervise them till they are used to each other. Try playing with them together, three way tug of war, fetch, or other types of play, and yes walking them together is a good idea that way they have a chance to bond. Make sure the shi-tzu has a place she can go to get away from the pup when she's had enough.

I'm sure they'll be friends in no time at all, it'll just take a bit of patience and work to make it happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your puppies growling is probably play growling, my dog has done that since he was a puppy. He'd growl while rough housing, or playing tug of war. Your shi-tzu is probably growling back at him as a warning, kind of saying leave me alone.

Always supervise them till they are used to each other. Try playing with them together, three way tug of war, fetch, or other types of play, and yes walking them together is a good idea that way they have a chance to bond. Make sure the shi-tzu has a place she can go to get away from the pup when she's had enough.

I'm sure they'll be friends in no time at all, it'll just take a bit of patience and work to make it happen.
Awesome. Seriously thank you so much. Everyones responses are making me feel a lot better. I have been in a panic.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
101 Posts
do not be afraid of that, you new puppy is active. maybe this can be the way they play together

1 - 16 of 16 Posts