Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two puppies. Both are very very sweet. Lately one of them has been acting "aggressive" or "irritable". She loved music since day one. And I used to hold her on my lap and make her "dance" ( just move her arms slightly up and down) and sway her body. But today... She responded with a bite to the face! This wasn't my first incident since I've taught her biting isn't tolerated. I was laying with my other puppy and she ran up started growling then bit me...She stopped biting and recently restarted. It can't be Aggression because she only 3 months but why would this happen? Is she throwing a puppy tantrum? Maybe I bugged her ? She HAS grown out of biting hard during play as well. Soni know she wasn't playing because it hurt!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
How have you taught her that biting isn't tolerated? If you've used any type of punishment or scolding, this temporarily suppresses behavior, but can actually lead to worse behavior down the line.

Ditto not doing anything that she may find irritating. Some dogs have lower thresholds for being teased/manipulated, just like people. Teach her by praising her and giving her rewards for doing what you like, and ignoring behavior you don't like. If you know she will react negatively to something specifically, best not to do it unless you are specifically working on conditioning her using positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that. But she usually lives it and wags her tail and smiles while she "dances" it was out of character for something we do/did soo many times and she always enjoyed it.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
That's good. Very appropriate. :) I agree with the stress-related. She may just be growing up and realizing she doesn't like it. Or it could be compounding with some other things that are stressing her out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She usually doesn't seem stressed. She cuddles and plays with the other dogs and my cat. With out signs of anything. They have An ok schedule too. I been tying to find out what's bugging her but I feel like she wants to be a only dog but that's not possible :/

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My puppy gets extra mouthy and bitey when he's tired and grouchy. Maybe next time try putting her somewhere for a nap and see what happens?
It's possible that this isn't the case, but it's worth a shot, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally I think biting should not be tolerated and teaching them at an early age is great it may be cute when there little but all dogs grow up and it hurts and whats worse is they think they can do it all the time because they were not taught to not bite. It could be something territorial or something thats causing her to be territorial.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My puppy seems to get grouchy when he's tired too. He's older than your puppies I think, and we're still working on mouthing when he gets worked up/tired/annoyed.
My dad likes explaining it as "puppies don't have hands, they can't swat us away when we're annoying them. They have to use their mouths" when he's reminding my little sister to not be so 'in your face' when I bring my puppy over for a visit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.