Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Heidi is getting better every day, and everyone she meets is very impressed with her obedience. We have a few remaining issues (namely jumping, but I swear everyone encourages it), but the main one is that she is a serious poop eater.

She has eaten poop since we got her from the breeder. She ate hers, but she loved to eat Levi's. We figured it was probably since she was on such a low quality food (Purina Puppy Chow), however after going through a variety of higher quality foods (ToTW, Orijen etc.), we finally settled on Raw. She now has nice firm poops (no more diarrhea!) and the frequency is way down. She no longer has any interest in eating Levi's poop.

However, she loves stranger poop. When we go to the dog park, I basically have to follow her around the whole time because she seeks it out. She has an alright "off" command, but some of the poop is just to tempting to resist. I was hoping that she would grow out of it, but she doesn't seem to be. All the information on the internet seems to point to things you can add to your own dog's food, but as I said, she doesn't eat her own.

I feel like she is getting all the nutrients she needs via organs, meat, and bones, so I don't think it is a deficiency. Would love to hear any thoughts or advice. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Also going to be watching this thread because Cosmo eats other animals' poop and it's literally the highest value treasure he can possibly receive and nothing has worked!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Same here!!! Betsy is a nightmare! There is no higher treat to get her away from the stuff! Always other dogs (not always dogs though, cats & horses are equally as delightful :p) not her own.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm so thankful Cosmo doesn't eat other dogs poop (or his own, ew!!) but it is dangerous to have him eating raccoon poop and poop of other animals that may carry diseases. Sometimes I don't even know what it is, I just have to take a guess!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so thankful Cosmo doesn't eat other dogs poop (or his own, ew!!) but it is dangerous to have him eating raccoon poop and poop of other animals that may carry diseases. Sometimes I don't even know what it is, I just have to take a guess!
Exactly! Aside from the serious grossness factor (because seriously, ew), I am very worried about what she's ingesting. She's already had Hookworm and giardia, and I would really prefer not to have those happen again.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't have any advice either, Sawyers not really a poop eater (thank god lol), then again we don't really run into other animal poop to often. However when we had the local wild turkey flock come through our yard and poop every were, he decided it was delicious (eww). Thankfully he's wasn't so in love with it that I couldn't get it away from him.

Because you cant really put anything into other animals poop to make it less desirable, I think your best bet is to work on a really good "leave it"/"drop". It might also help to see if you can get her to the point where she can walk by it with out becoming interested in it/ignoring it.

Giardia sucks, Sawyer came with it. Fingers crossed she'll grow out of it or you can find a solution.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So, Heidi is getting better every day, and everyone she meets is very impressed with her obedience. We have a few remaining issues (namely jumping, but I swear everyone encourages it), but the main one is that she is a serious poop eater.

She has eaten poop since we got her from the breeder. She ate hers, but she loved to eat Levi's. We figured it was probably since she was on such a low quality food (Purina Puppy Chow), however after going through a variety of higher quality foods (ToTW, Orijen etc.), we finally settled on Raw. She now has nice firm poops (no more diarrhea!) and the frequency is way down. She no longer has any interest in eating Levi's poop.

However, she loves stranger poop. When we go to the dog park, I basically have to follow her around the whole time because she seeks it out. She has an alright "off" command, but some of the poop is just to tempting to resist. I was hoping that she would grow out of it, but she doesn't seem to be. All the information on the internet seems to point to things you can add to your own dog's food, but as I said, she doesn't eat her own.

I feel like she is getting all the nutrients she needs via organs, meat, and bones, so I don't think it is a deficiency. Would love to hear any thoughts or advice. :)

I have a friend who's dog does this. She's on high quality food (honest kitchen) and has been doing it since they rescued her at 4 months old. She's a few months shy of 2 years old. They switched her from blue buffalo to HK a while back and that helped somewhat with the frequency. She only seems to eat her own poop and sometimes her 'sisters' poop (they are both on HK) My pup is around them a lot, and I've never seen her go after his poos. Not sure if it's the food he's on or if it's just a weird behavioral quirk. (My guy is on Orijen) Anyway all that said, I don't actually have much that can help you. We haven't found anything that deters her, just try to keep an eye on her when they are on walks or playing outside and pick up the poops quickly.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Watching this thread as my Tucker is the worst poo eater in the world!!! He loves to shred poop, then try and come to lick my face (nasty bugger). We've tried everything....changing foods, off command....he just LOVES poop!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My golden retriever, HaHa -- I think sometimes he looks at my cat like she's some kind of Pez dispenser. :rolleyes: I finally had to block the kitty litter box where the cat can get to it but he can't.

No telling what he eats while outside, as I have deer, raccoon, stray cats, and other critters go through my yard...but at least I haven't smelled poo on his breath, so hopefully it's not become an obsessive habit with him. I keep him wormed and hope for the best. : )

Stormy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our dog was a poop eater as well as a puppy.

I fed him salmon.
And when we went for a walk always wore gloves. Then when he ate a poop I could quickly open his mouth and gently shake his head so the poop fell out again. Without getting any on my hands. But I had to react quickly before the poop was swolloved. And I never scolded him. After some months the poop eating stopped.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've started noticing she does it if she's bored. So, she doesn't do it on walks, only at the park, so we are trying to keep her busy. Her "off" command has improved a ton, and I'm able to call her off most of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Perhaps you could try to hide beef or chicken meat and learn her to seek after this luxury treat.

Perhaps finding poop would be a disappointment then.
Or not.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
ever since Jessie has been on raw she tries to eat ozzy or charlies poo who are fed acana light and fit. absolutely not i tell her and try make her stay away from when they poo but she will even go round to the anus to try eat as it comes out makes me feel sick to my stomach even right now typing about it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Some dogs are just poop eaters. Tessa is only a convo sur of other species poop like horses, rabbits, geese, cats, etc. There is just no stopping it. Thankfully she doesn't eat other dogs or her own. Sometimes it's because of deficiency, but most of the time it's just a habit. There's not a whole lot you can do other than supervise and have a strong "leave it" until she out grows out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts