Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 months toy poodle, I took him from the breeder one month ago. He was already using the wee wee pad with his brothers and sisters, but when he arrived in my home he was confused and sad, and he starts peeing and pooping everywhere. That's normal, I thought, so we start training him again.

I put his pad in a playpen in the bathroom and in a week or so he was able to go there to pee. The problem is the poop!!! He doesn't want to poop in the pad
I tried everything:
I gave him a regular feeding schedule, little playtime after and confinement in the playpad, waiting that he poops. But he is able to hold the poop for hours!!! I really mean hours. So after a while I just let him go... I cannot keep him inside the playpen all day long. As soon as I open the playpen, he goes out and he hides somewhere to poop on the floor. I was also able to stop him while he was pooping few times, and ran in the pad. Even so, a month passed and nothing! He doesn't poop in the pad.

I repeat, He is going to pee on the pad everyday, regularly. No prob with pee. Once, I recall, he went to pee inside the pen (I followed him), then he got out and pooped just in front of the door, in the floor!

I don't know what to do. Why he can pee in the wee wee pad, but he cannot poop there? Please help me!

Thanks
DD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes, he doesn't have any preference about at home or outside. Just not on the pad.
It happened, just once, that we went out and he pooped when we came back home. It happened just once, he is usually good with pooping outside (he doesn't pee outside, just on the pad.
It seems he just decided that the pad is for peeing, and poopind is elsewhere.

However, I don't have a regular schedule, I cannot always count on the idea that I can walk him to poop. So I need to teach him to poop on the pad

·
Registered
676 Posts
if he is fine pooing outside, why can you not just train him to go outside for wee's and poo's?.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I personally find it much more difficult to train a dog, that he's allowed to poo on their pad but not on their blanked or the carpet, so Sancho and Teo only do the "loo loo" outside.
You've got to take them out a lot at first and reward them for doing it outside. sooner or later they'll learn it.

But the "loo loo" of a Dogo canario Mix is probably also a bit different in size than that of a toy poodle. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey poodle friend! Where do you your dog to eventually eliminate during its adult life?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if he is fine pooing outside, why can you not just train him to go outside for wee's and poo's?.
Because, as I said, my schedule is not regular. I can work from home for a month, then, I have to work outside all day long for a week (and I am not paying a stranger $30 to walk my dog 15 mins)

Thanks for the answers. If I could do it differently, I would. Is there anybody that had the same problem?

·
Registered
436 Posts
You're basically going to have to watch your dog like a hawk 100% of the time or have him confined 100% of the time (unless you JUST saw him eliminate in the proper place) since he has developed a nice habit of sneaking off and pooing.

Preventing accidents in house training is one of the key elements. Don't let your dog fail, if you see him sneaking off (which you will because he will be under constant supervision) , catch him in the act, interrupt him and put him on the pad. Praise him for going on the pad.

Another option is making the pad bigger. Maybe taping 2 or 3 pads together. Lots of dogs like to walk and sniff, circle around a bit before pooing...make sure the pad size gives them enough room to do that. Leash the dog to you if it will help you supervise. You could put a sample of his poop there to encourage him it's the right place. This could have the opposite effect as well...some dogs don't like to poo in a well saturated area.

This is not going to be an easy fix. I know lots of small dogs that never get fully house trained especially when using pee pads. Your dog is still a puppy and very small. It could be a long time before this is 100% solid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Naira,
How long he can stay in the playpen? Because Yesterday I think he held the poop for the entire day!
I put him in the playpen with the pad, I went to check him every 30/45 mins or so (I had a deadline, so I was working from home) to give him water or food or just some cuddles and he didn't poop for the entire day!
I put him to sleep (He still wants to sleep in the crate) and this morning, when I took him out and put in the playpen again, he pooped and peed in 1 min. I think he was holding for the entire day and night, but I just feel bad to keep him there until he doesn't learn.
Is it a correct way to do so?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts