Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 week old german shepherd, greyhound cross & I am really struggling on crate training him and also teaching him how to be left alone. I can't even go into another room without him screaming the house down. I understand that I need to get this under control soon as I know that it can lead to worse problems further on in life & separation anxiety. I understand that it can take time but any help would be brilliant. He hasn't been left alone at all due to all of this & at some point I'm going to have to leave the house!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Be consistent. Never use his crate as punishment. Make his crate fun. Give him treats in it. Start with short periods and let him learn that you will always return. Slowly extend the time. I have a pit velcro dog who was the same way. Over time he learned that his crate is a safe place and that I ALWAYS return for him. :)

I know it is difficult when you hear your puppy screaming like that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had this issue with my Newfador, Nintendo. When we first got him, he HATED the crate. His mother and littermates were never crated, so he was extremely freaked out by the crate. The first night was painful to say the least. I took him out several times for potty breaks and gave him plenty of love, but he just hated it. Eventually he got use to it, but he's never LIKED it. No matter how positive we make it for him. As soon as his house-training is complete, we will get rid of it. My other dog is out of his and sleeping in a dog bed by our bed. We hoped that he can do that with him soon.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Although my girl was initially crate trained as a young pup I preferred to babygate my bathroom or kitchen when I left her home alone, and at first she also pitched a fit when I would leave. I live in an apt so this is a big NO NO! (I live in an over 55 building with a bunch of cranky old people!) I stopped this behavior by at first just stepping outside my front door, waiting 30 seconds ( I did this several times a day) and then returning with a treat for her.............I lengthened the time I was gone everyday...( went to the mailbox or the laundryroom LOL!) and she eventually KNEW I'd be back soon....with a treat . Of course at first I always waited for a 'moment of silence' before returning too!
It only took her a few days to catch on and now 4 years later no more gates or crates and she can be left all day with no problem!

P.S. I was told when I got her, by many people, that because I am home all day with her that she would develop Anxiety Disorder so I proved them wrong! LOL!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will say over the last week, Nintendo seems to have decided he likes his crate. I've found him chilling in there a few times with the door open. We've gotten to the point where if I tap on the top of his crate and say "Go in your crate..." he goes right it with no help. Yay!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for all of your comments! His food & water bowls are in his crate & he will happily go in and out of it its when you close the door when he starts to winge even when I'm right next to him he claws & bites at the wires & it really worries me because I don't want him to hurt himself! I can get him to lie down & stay in his crate for short periods at a time with the gate open but even if i just go into the kitchen he'll come straight out & follow me even though you can see right into the door. As for being left in a room on his well that's a different problem altogether he screams worse than when he's in his crate it's so bad & we live in a downstairs flat & our upstairs neighbours aren't exactly the kindest of folk, so if possible I kind of somehow need to keep the crying down to a minimum. I love this little pup to bits but at some point he's going to have to learn as I won't be able to basically be by his side 24/7 for the rest of his life. I know that I'll have to put in a lot of work to train him I'm just wondering how I can do it because I've been trying so hard since we've got him but nothing seems to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts