Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's 2 months old. We adopted her from a rescue place when she was only a month old.

Whenever my mother goes out and tries to touch her or play with her she starts chewing on her hand, on her legs. I think from my puppy's perspective she's is only playing, but her teeth are quite sharp now so they hurt when she bites.

We've tried using toys, now everytime someone wants to pet her we have to keep a toy in her mouth... is this normal? Do all puppies chew on your hand whenever you touch them? Mine does... and I wanna know why?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I also want to point out that if you got your puppy at 4 weeks old (which is much much much too early for a non-orphaned pup to leave a mother and littermates, I have no idea what this rescue was thinking, but I would avoid them in the future) it will not have had the benefit of learning any bite inhibition whatsoever, so you are really having to teach all of this from scratch. Puppies usually learn quite a bit of bite inhibition from playing with their littermates, their mother, and any other dogs that are around to shape the puppy's life.

Biting is a normal and healthy expression of a puppy's interest in the world, and what you're doing with the toy is absolutely perfect for now. Being overly mouthy is a stage that usually passes, but the link above is a great resource to figure out how to manage, understand, and safely train regarding this behaviour.

Good luck!

ETA: I just remembered your location, so strike my thoughts on avoiding this rescue, but do try to pick a pup that's closer to 8-12 weeks next time. You're doing a great job with this little girl. :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It is totally normal. If you think about a baby human, everything goes into their mouths, right? It's their way of exploring their world and its the same with puppies. Just unfortunate that puppies have incredibly sharp teeth!

My 6 month old is still a biter, I am currently working on the 'leave it' cue which is starting to take effect. What you're doing with the toys is great, just keep at it. It will take time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts