Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So nothing I'm really concerned about, I just find it interesting that Mia willingly returns the ball to me ONLY when we're at the beach.

If we play fetch in a grassy field/dog park, more than half the time she doesn't return the ball....she comes back maybe 2/3 of the way, plops down and starts chewing on it.

However, every time we go to the beach, I can throw the ball in the sand or water, she will fetch it and return it to me. Majority of the time she drops it right in front of me and waits for me to throw it again.

I usually have to bring two balls with me if we play fetch in the grass so I can entice her to drop the first ball and run after the second haha

What are your thoughts? Can anyone explain this? I'm really curious about this behaviour.

I spoke to a guy this morning who was at the beach with his rottie and he said Cosmo did the same thing but with sticks. Only fetched the sticks when thrown in the water.

·
Registered
502 Posts
With some dogs, they're more willing to fetch out of the water because they're 'rescuing' the item. My JRT mix won't fetch with sticks normally, only balls, but will fetch sticks or anything that goes into the water(including humans, horses, other dogs, rocks, life jackets...). I don't know if that is the case with your dog, but it sounds like it's probably the case for his rottie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts