Dog Forum banner

My pup Cooper

693 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  OldDog-NoTricks
Hi everyone, I live in Australia and have a 7month old male Cooper. I have never owned a JRT before. I did my research into the breed and he suits me perfectly. So full of love and he has a great personality. I love him so much. My question is, He likes to lick everything and by everything I mean everything. Is that a normal trait of a JRT? He also loves people and meeting new people, but he is a bit a jumper and gets crazy excited, I’ve tried to get him to stop doing it but he still does. Is that normal for a pup? Also his recall is not the best because he gets so excited on walks as he smells everything and has to wee on every plant bush and tree. He has not been nurtured. Thanks I’m advance.
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
Hi everyone, I live in Australia and have a 7month old male Cooper. I have never owned a JRT before. I did my research into the breed and he suits me perfectly. So full of love and he has a great personality. I love him so much. My question is, He likes to lick everything and by everything I mean everything. Is that a normal trait of a JRT? He also loves people and meeting new people, but he is a bit a jumper and gets crazy excited, I’ve tried to get him to stop doing it but he still does. Is that normal for a pup? Also his recall is not the best because he gets so excited on walks as he smells everything and has to wee on every plant bush and tree. He has not been nurtured. Thanks I’m advance.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

He likes to lick everything and by everything I mean everything. Is that a normal trait of a JRT?
Licking is a self soothing exercise for dogs, so the behaviour itself is normal. Have a stuffed Kong or Lickimat or other wet food dispenser avail and give him that to satisfy his need to lick.

He also loves people and meeting new people, but he is a bit a jumper and gets crazy excited, I’ve tried to get him to stop doing it but he still does. Is that normal for a pup?
Normal for dogs, never mind puppies. Teach him to Sit when he greets new people - 4 paws on the ground, equals, chance to meet/say hello. 0-2 paws on the ground, equals no meeting.

The thing to bear in mind is that many other people have a tendency to encourage jumping up in dogs. "Oh, he's all right! I don't mind." Be ready: "You might not, and I can see you're strong enough and steady enough to take him jumping up on you, but I don't want him doing that to my frail, 90 year old Granny, who's unsteady on her feet. If he knocks her over and she breaks a hip..."

He has not been nurtured
At the risk of sounding like a spelling snob, do you mean neutered?
Reactions: 1
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.